Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upper rear lights

Does your indicator bulb holder have the extra pin and contact?

No, indicator built is missing the contac too (think you can see in the photo it only has 3 connectors.
The missing contacts for the bulbs would be easy to ‘make’,

I wonder if the indicator bulb connector (the big white one) and incoming cable could be replaced easily from one from a 120 without the bumper lights? Trying to find out where the other end goes to see if it’s a connector each end!

Alternative would be to run two more cables each side and tie into the other lights, but that wouldn’t be as neat and more prone to problems later on.

No, indicator built is missing the contac too (think you can see in the photo it only has 3 connectors.
The missing contacts for the bulbs would be easy to ‘make’,

Ah! I could see the body, but not the bulb holder / connector!

I wonder if the indicator bulb connector (the big white one) and incoming cable could be replaced easily from one from a 120 without the bumper lights? Trying to find out where the other end goes to see if it’s a connector each end!

Fingers crossed!

Bit more research and I’ve found out that the fully working version (under wheel) has all green cables to the indicator connector

D0146C7C-2979-4F62-88BE-D8B788155ADD.jpeg

The connector should be:

Pin 1 Reverse
Pin 2 Indicator
Pin 3 Tail
Pin 4 [no connection]
Pin 5 Gnd
Pin 6 Brake

Still not sure where the cable comes from though!

Hmmm... are the green cables from the towbar loom though? The original wiring (pre tow bar) should plug into another connector on that loom I think...

All mine (post tobar) were green, but pre-towbar were the other colours!

I think your green wires are C and D on this loom.

A and B are similar idea for the fog lights...

Attachments

• 120_Land_Cruiser_Tow_Bar_Electrics_with_Indicators_PZ457-J9563-00.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 73
Looks like you two, (D.H. and Karl) are really cooking now. Hope to rejoin the thread tomorrow now, as my son and wife are staying longer. Just sneaked a crafty look at what's going on, great inroads, thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok guys, been out this a.m. and despite convincing myself otherwise, and proceeding to muddy the waters with light bulb positions, fittings etc, - probably looking at too many pictures of light options I think?, and a bit of senility creeping in, found I have exactly the same set up as DH.
Bulb holders are there, (sorry Karl for sending you off on a wild goose chase for those), bulb positions are exactly as Tony listed earlier, and as shown in photos by Karl and DH.
As per DH. I am just lacking the extra wires in connector block like Karl has, (somehow I remembered that bit right) and the extra terminal on the back of the centre lightfitting with the attached connecting wire I think, although the contact is there built in to the bulb holder.. There are no amber indicator bulbs in mine, but as they are not operational, not surprising.
DH as you have the bulbs, maybe someone tried and failed in the past to get yours working thinking a quick cheap fix, cos bulbs were missing originally?
Anyway, as you said before prob not too difficult to make something up, I have loads of old brass/ copper electrical bits in garage that might be cannibalised, amongst all the other 'junk' as 'er indoors describes it.
With Karl's photos of the 'real' thing, the correct colours for the extra wires are shown, so should be poss. to make up a small loom for each side in those colours, taking supply off towbar loom as discussed and shown earlier. I like using correct colours as had an uprated mini once that I wired loads of accessories up with all the same coloured yellow wire that I had a whole reel of the correct rating. When it later came to fault finding, I was well pizzed.
I looked at the possibility of buying cheap /used/broken light units as suggested, to rob parts off, but the cheapest I could find was £60 for one, so you know the answer to that.
Seems like progress here in parts/ knowledge from the think tank. Will now try to find/ assemble the few bits required for fully operational upper lights, from your collective information. Thanks Mates.

elf

Great!!! haha yellow wire.... sounds like what Mr T did here with green.

I wonder if we can find a (cheap) source of connectors. ie a plug and socket for the upper light, and for the lower light - on each side.

Then the new 'loom' could be done off the car, sorted properly and then just plugged in? I think the only extra bit would be the wire on the lamp cluster (from the middle to the top).

If we got a list of part numbers and sources together, it would be handy for anyone else wanting to do the same mod...

Yet, most odd all those greens on the o/s, they must be extensions for the same functions from the n/s, if I'm reading it right, as the n/s appear to be colour coded, i.e. red, white blue green and tracers, but crazy to extend with all green. Even if feed is taken from TB wiring, there is only one of each colour to designate L or R.
Good idea to try and form a list of parts/numbers for reference, but in my experience it is impossible to get any manufacturers connectors, as they usually come as part of a specific loom.
However, I have added the brass pins/spade connectors, as long as correct sizing and room to multiconnectors in the past. In this case there is room in our/ mine on the back of light to add more, it's just that they were never inserted in the first place.
So, by adding appropriate brass connectors and wires there, one could then connect into TB loom in cubby via any aftermarket m/f 2 wire? connector spliced in. The centre bulb holder where the connector is in your photos, would have to be replaced, as is short one contact and wire, but you have already found the Toyota part number, as given earlier on + an extra wire.
I think that is the nearest to plug and play, although once all connected there would be no reason for disconnection, so I personally would hard wire the TB connection in cubby.
Hope I am being coherent, know wot I mean?

Yet, most odd all those greens on the o/s, they must be extensions for the same functions from the n/s, if I'm reading it right, as the n/s appear to be colour coded, i.e. red, white blue green and tracers, but crazy to extend with all green. Even if feed is taken from TB wiring, there is only one of each colour to designate L or R.
Good idea to try and form a list of parts/numbers for reference, but in my experience it is impossible to get any manufacturers connectors, as they usually come as part of a specific loom.

As far as the upper lights go, I don't know if all the greens are just in the TB harness. That first pic i posted was from ages ago (with proper colours), when my TB stuff was disconnected - remember all the fun I had with that! :) Then the later pic was yesterday when the TB was in the mix.

I bet you're right about connectors, wishful thinking on my part...!

However, I have added the brass pins/spade connectors, as long as correct sizing and room to multiconnectors in the past. In this case there is room in our/ mine on the back of light to add more, it's just that they were never inserted in the first place.

That's true, you only need to crimp a couple of spades then slot them into the connector dont you? I think these connectors have a locking tab on the top that you need to open before you push individual spades/pins in or out.

So, by adding appropriate brass connectors and wires there, one could then connect into TB loom in cubby via any aftermarket m/f 2 wire? connector spliced in. The centre bulb holder where the connector is in your photos, would have to be replaced, as is short one contact and wire, but you have already found the Toyota part number, as given earlier on + an extra wire.
I think that is the nearest to plug and play, although once all connected there would be no reason for disconnection, so I personally would hard wire the TB connection in cubby.
Hope I am being coherent, know wot I mean?

Yep - sounds spot on to me mate - let me know if anything comes up that you want me to check on mine!

I think theres probably enough slack on the TB wire in the cubby. You could probably even tap it on that connector to the red relay - from memory I think that has everything - my old relay had the pin out details, the new one didnt; but I worked out what they all were at one point - let me know if you need info!

Just FYI theres a handy perm 12V in that cubby too which powers that relay. Never know when you need one :)

There is plenty of slack, bèen in there recently Karl. I didnt know there was a 12v supply in there, which is useful, as I am in the process of fitting 12s socket ( only came with 12n) and am fitting a self switching relay which requires a permanent 12v supply that as well,as charging caravan battery and powering fridge, I will put in a 12v supply to charge another leisure battery in rear. That may save me pulling a supplyfrom the engine bay. Good tip, thanks.
I have bought tonight off eBay, as an experiment and hopeful source of parts a cheap rear light unit complete, that looks to be wired with the same parts as the cruiser needed. Its off an Avensis but like the lc,not all have the right parts, so if anyone else does this look carefully. From what I can see I should be able to swap parts, but still need to add wires taken from TB. Will keep you posted if/ how this pans out.
Many thanks for info supplied Karl, and will give you a shout if I need further to get this light mod done, if it works out we have the information to pass on

Yeah, the spades once inserted do lock in and a bugger to get out !! I did wonder how you had before and after pictures of TB wiring, - of course, we did have some fun with towbar wiring and parking sensors, I remember those now ha ha. On the subject of the rear lights, as they are big and vulnerable, I last week, bought some s/s guards that wrap around each light, will fit them when I do the light mods.

Great - good move on the Avensis parts!

I think that 12 V is on a 30A fuse, then theres a 10A tapped off it for the TB.

I have a vague recollection of seeing an official 12N/S kit - does it exist or am i imagining it? Might be useful to find the instructions - theres a bunch of other (unused) wires in the connector that supplies the 12V - I wonder if that might have the other wires you need for your 12S!

12S wiring, just FYI

These docs are worse than IKEA.

Attachments

• Towbar wiring kit 12S PZ457-J9562-00.pdf
    828.8 KB · Views: 66
Bloody hell Karl, youve been burning the midnight oil mate!! Your better than Gurgle for fast info.
Well, as you have found out, there is a kit, a lot more work than I am doing. As I have already got the gear and have started and a lot more simplified than Toyo, I will carry on. I've done both types many times, and sorted amateur cock ups and rough wiring, as you have, with good assortment of crimp/solder connectors.
It looks like they use the simplified version with feed from battery to self switching relay, rather than older, slightly more complex method of an ignition feed and alternator connection. Both systems will still charge battery/s, run fridges and have cut off to preserve starter battery power anyway. My way suits my requirements, where it may not suit others, each to their own.
I suppose the kit is plug and play really and every component interconnected, which is a help, rather than my way which was source all the components and crimp all the connectors myself, just takes a bit more time. There again I am not having to pull as much trim apart to hide the route of mine, or spend as much money!
With that info you supplied about a power source in cubby, I won't have to pull a feed the length of the truck.
I expect that kit to be quite expensive, but really good as a one stop shop for those who are unable to put their own kit together, and easy to follow simple? instructions.
I did wonder what those extra connectors were for in the cubby at one stage, now I know, although not using them. Thanks!

Makes sense to do your own anyway mate - at least then you know every cable, every cable run, every clip, every crimp, every fuse, every relay, every terminal etc :)

I think there's a lot to be said for that!

Agree totally mate, we've all seen and sorted out other idiots lash ups in everything, some downright dangerous. I'm all for having a go, but know your limits or ask !! Twats like those should take the bus.

Have any of you 120 guys got these operational? As we know it all depends on where the spare wheel is mounted that blocks off side when door open, and as mine is on the rear door, only the brake lights work as per Mr T.
I have done a search ( on here and elsewhere) and can find mention of people who have done it, but no details, ie, what bulb holders were used, was a loom used, etc.
Plenty of details out there for collies, but as different light units, not sure if any parts used would fit.
It seems a shame to have these big visible light units on there not used to full potential, as well as the bumper mounted ones. Thanks.

Yes, many years ago.
I just bought the holders from Mr. T.
Indicator and stop/tail for each side.
Looked great after.
Diverted and extended the original wires that went to the (silly) lights in the bumper

Hi Graham, yes already getting parts together for this, but weather is halting progress.
Since Karl2000 posted part numbers earlier, found they are already there, but minus some contacts and connecting wires between some of the bulb holders, see DHs and Karl's previous posts and photos, very informative. Have got the missing contacts and missing connecting wires ready to fit, once they are in I can make up some mini looms to extend the appropriate lighting and post on here the procedure/ parts req.
Yours seem to have been remarkably easy, perhaps yours had the missing items already there, with not too much work/ parts?

weather is halting progress.

Weather is halting progress for me to.

Been looking at the extending of the loom necessary - Tractionman, are you thinking of extending the towing relay loom or going direct to the existing indicators? Was wondering if the extra load of another bulb might not be liked if going direct to the existing indicators? (But probably an easier wiring route)

If I get 15minutes where it’s not monsoon weather I might try knocking up a quick test with a spare bulb to see if it effects the existing indicators.

Back