Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Using Inverters

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Guys, I use a 300watt inverter to power my tv, sky box, etc when I am away in my caravan on 12v weekends ie no mains hook up. I power my inverter by using two 96amp hr batteries wired up in parallel to give me roughly double the amp/hr. This setup gives me 18hrs of use(not continuous) and when not being used I disconnect the inverter. My question is would using a 600 watt inverter halve the hours of use? I ask because I could be going to France on an extended holiday and could be in the van for longer periods. A bigger inverter would give me some spare capacity to run laptops , games consoles for the kids without worrying about overloading the inverter. I know that loading is a deciding factor and will try to keep it to a minimum when possible.
Any thoughts on this?

Steve

It'll only draw what you ask of it so if you don't need 600 it won't be using that.

No harm in using it and obviously the more you use the less time you have. Also remember that it is not linear I.e. double the draw more than halves the time you have.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve,

The inverter standby difference between uing a 300w as against a 600w is so small, ie, a few mA, so as long as you switch the inverter off when not required differences are not worth mentioning.
There should be no difference pulling 300w out of a 300w inverter, than pulling 300w out of a 600w inverter.
Your 12 volt amp requirement will be the same.
However, now your newer 600w inverter is only 50% loaded, you will expectedly draw more from it's rating of 600w.
The more you draw out the inverter at mains side, the more you have to put in at battery side.
If you have your 2 x 96 amp Hour (Ah) 12 volt amp hour batteries connected in parallel the in theory you have a capacity of 192 amp hour.
Ie: in a perfect world, you could have 1 amp delivered from your parallel batteries for 192 hours.
However you could not have 10 amps for 19,2 hours, and you really can't have 100 amps for 1,92 hours.
As said above, it is a discharge scale.
This discharge scale depends on the quality of your batteries, and their well being, ie, how many times they have been killed by a total discharge, and how old they are, by old, we mean how much lead has been shaken off the supporting plates within the cells. This lead which is shaken off the cells accumulates in the bottom of the cells, and may well eventually short out the plates which make the cells to a degree.
Good fresh batteries may give you 10 amps for 10 hours, where tired batteries may only give you 10 amps for 5 hours.
I used to give a good days work, now I am older now I find 5 hours is enough :thumbup:
Batteries of the sorts used here, like either long light discharges, down to a recoverable level, or mega 200 amps for a few seconds while cranking the engine over to start.
What they don't appreciate is total discharge.
This brings back to the "perfect world" ie, drawing 1 amp for 192 hours, it is just not available, you may get 1 amp for 60% of the capacity of the battery, before you start wondering into the realms of damaging the battery.
They can be recovered to a degree, but they can never be as good as they were before they were totally discharged.
It should be noted, that inverters now have voltage detection, and are preset to disconnect the inverter when the battery voltage drops to 11.0 volts, as a safe guard against this damage of total wipeout.
Better quality inverters have a user setting where this 11.0 volt setting can be adjusted, to take in account of speciality batteries, where lower than 11.0 volts, perhaps 10.0 volts, can be reached before inverter shutdown.

Have you considered a solar panel on the roof of the 'van ?
A 100w solar panel, via an intelligent charge relay is the way forward for you in France on an extended holiday.
I guess in France, June summer day, you will get 10 hours of sunshine at 100w at 13 volts to charge
Thats a good 7 amps an hour. Free except for capital outlay.

Gra.

Thanks for the information, Graham. I do use a solar panel (13w Maplins special) to put a small charge back into my caravan leisure battery to replace what is used at night with lights, etc. This has a regulator panel with it and could be linked to another panel to boost the charge output. I am thinking of replacing the inverter with a pure sine wave model to charge laptops and the like and was wondering if a higher output would suit me better but if I read your post correctly I doubt if I would gain anything. Will just have to work out load required of electricals and turn something off if its too much. I am going to use a redundant power supply in the truck from an old amp to supply a switched trickle charging socket in the rear to top up a battery whilst travelling around during the day. Your idea of a large solar panel is something I will look into as next year I am doing a lot more 12v weekends and would save lugging batterys around. Plenty to think about and research before buying. Thanks again :thumbup:

Crispin. Thanks for your input. As I said above I think I need to work out what output I will be most likely to need and go from there.
Are the inverters you aquire pure sine wave and whats the smallest wattage available?

Hi Steve,

A 13 watt solar panel won't even put back into the batteries "natural losses"
For those two batteries, you should be looing at 100 watt solar panels.

Gra.

Graham
I use the 13w solar panel to top up my caravan battery and it seems to keep it topped up. I will be looking at a larger panel for the inverter batterys but it may have to be a free standing one as I dont really want to be drilling the roof. Also if I change the van I can keep the panel. Thanks again for your help and will let you know how I get on.

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back