Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Using mobile phones out of the UK- I'm confused.

24Seven

Can anyone help with the following please, I really should know this :? but this is how I think it works.

0044 and +44 are the same thing?

All based on using UK sims

Scenario one

Two people with UK sims, phone each other when outside of the UK = The first 0 is dropped from each others number and either +44 or 0044 added?

Scenario two

Someone phones from the UK on landline or mobile phone to a UK mobile which is abroad, no change needed to the mobile phone number but adding 0044 or +44 would not do any harm?

Scenario three

Phoning a mobile in the UK from a mobile abroad = remove the first 0 and add either 0044 or +44?

Scenario four

Phoning a landline in the UK from a mobile abroad = remove the first 0 and add either 0044 or +44?

There are some countries which don't use 00 for the international prefix so if all your numbers are set to 00 you may have a dialing prob from your mobile. I use the + and then the country dialing code infront of all my numbers on my mobile.

So UK numbers are +44***
US +1***
SA +27***

..and so on, never have issues with this.

TonyP said:
There are some countries which don't use 00 for the international prefix so if all your numbers are set to 00 you may have a dialing prob from your mobile. I use the + and then the country dialing code infront of all my numbers on my mobile.

So UK numbers are +44***
US +1***
SA +27***

..and so on, never have issues with this.

I do use +44 myself as well.

Tony or anyone.

What about phoning the UK for a landline abroad? You cannot use +44 because there is not a + on a landline phone (I think)

24Seven said:
[What about phoning the UK for a landline abroad? You cannot use +44 because there is not a + on a landline phone (I think)

Then you would need to prefix with the appropriate numbers, most often 00. So UK number become 0044 (drop the next 0) 7973****

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the US you usually dial 011 + country code + number, so for the UK 01144xxxxxxxxxx.

Technically the 0 at the beginning of your UK phone number isn't actually part of the phone number. It's a signal to the exchange that a long distance number follows the 0. 00 means that a very long distance (i.e. international) number follows.

That's why when you call in from abroad, or use +44, you drop the 0 - it isn't necessary because the +44 (or 0044 or 01144, whatever) signals that a full UK phone number follows (and remember the 0 isn't part of the number).

And just to make my 1000th post.... :dance: my pleasure :lol:

scenario one costs a comedically huge amount of money. My wife phoned me whilst on holiday in Thailand from her mobile- i was in Iceland.

call costs something like £30 for 2 minutes (or something equally silly). didn't quite beat a friend with a spanish mobile, in America who phone another friend with a new zealand mobile in China- well on to £100!

I did not what to confuse myself even more but I have a Moroccan PAYG sim which I use in Morocco to phone home and I'm happy with how long the top up lasts although when I get the locals to help me top it up, they are horrified when a put £20's worth on it in one go.

If you do a lot of random travel, get a travel sim. I use these guys: http://www.travelsim.co.uk/

Basically, you top up with sterling and no matter where you are, a call to the UK is 5p per minute (prices may have changed) Anyone calling you pays local UK rates (so free if it's on the bundle package!) and you pay nothing as incoming calls are free.

I've used it in Italy, Ireland, Switzerland, France and South Africa. It does what it says on the tin.

The only drawback is that you are the lowest of the low. The idea is that networks have already paid for the connections and if they don't do anything with them they loose money. Sell the airtime cheap and while your profit is not the highest, it's better than not making anything.
The result of this is sometimes you will not get a connection as there is no spare capacity. waiting a couple minutes and trying again normally works. Hell, that happens to me on Vodaphone in the UK :lol:

It's really handy if you travel. You divert your normal UK number to this number and it comes off your free minutes :D

Thats a good tip.

Cant afford mobiles from abroad - good old skype when there's tinternet i'm afraid.

Pete

Back