Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Valve clearance specs

Opie

Country Flag
australia
Howdy,

I am pretty new to this site, so please forgive me if this is often covered. I am replacing the rocker cover gasket on my diesel 80 series (no turbo yet) and I thought that I might as well adjust the valve clearances while I'm in there. Unfortunately, I can't download the manuals, I'm assuming they are saved as a participation award to help grow the community. Can anyone help me out with the associated specs for that little job?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Opie and Welcome. You are right about the manuals. For a small donation to help run the site you can open up the manual downloads section. It also stops the adverts.

Best wishes
Rich

Firewout- thanks for that link. Maybe I just needed to google a little harder. Shims is a shame. Well it’s great really, but it complicates the adjustment a little.

StarCruiser- thanks for the tip. I’ll have a look at the donation because I am keen to get to the manuals, but I’m not sure I have many interesting posts for you here. Cheers.

Firewout- thanks for that link. Maybe I just needed to google a little harder. Shims is a shame. Well it’s great really, but it complicates the adjustment a little.

StarCruiser- thanks for the tip. I’ll have a look at the donation because I am keen to get to the manuals, but I’m not sure I have many interesting posts for you here. Cheers.

If it’s of any comfort, I had what I presumed to be a noisy tappet on my HZJ and my service ordered and fitted the next size up shim.

The tap-tap disappeared much to my pleasure, but I did notice a slight loss of power (slight is a lot on the poor old 1HZ :lol:)...

Fearing the valve wasn’t closing properly, they compression tested it and sure enough, the valve was leaking, so they reverted to the old shim and of course my tap-tap was back.

They offered to grind the new shim down to half-way between the two, but warned me that this would be hit or miss... so I declined.

There’s no big deal to a tap-tap... it’s barely audible along with all the other noises associated with 420k km, so I’m ok with it...

Welcome aboard by the way :thumbup:

My old girl isn't even tapping! I just thought it would be a good idea to do some preventative maintenance, but since it is using shims it isn't really worth me trying at this point. Sometime in the last 60,000kms she had a new head put on. I would assume it was set up right then and shouldn't give me any issues really.

You're right about the noises of the old girls though, Clive. Mine is pretty rowdy at speed between wind and tyres, that's not including the gearbox growl and clutch throw out bearing starting to whisper to me.... Still, she'll be right.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You're right about the noises of the old girls though, Clive. Mine is pretty rowdy at speed between wind and tyres, that's not including the gearbox growl and clutch throw out bearing starting to whisper to me.... Still, she'll be right.
Yeah, great isn’t it that the vehicle ‘talks’ back to you. To think you could be insulated from all that information coming back telling you what’s running right. :lol:

On the valves, you’re right, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Back