Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VIN plate weight information

Nick Sabrazat

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Been away for a while but I am still trying to bring the HJ60 back to its former glory in the background.
One of the item on my to do list is to get a new identification plate from Toyota as mine is missing from the bulkhead.

However before they can issue me with the new identification plate they wanted to confirm the towing capacity of the vehicle (I am surprised they do not have this one their system, but hey oh!)

So could some one on here please share any weight information that may appear on their UK HJ60 identification plate (GVWR/GAWR), or are you aware of the maximum towing capacity on our car?

Many thanks,

Nick.

IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

Hope this helps Nick.

Hi Nick,

Numbers from an HJ60RG-MV
2630kg
6130kg

Hope that helps

regards,

Rodger

Hi Nick,

Numbers from an HJ60RG-MV
2630kg
6130kg

Hope that helps

regards,

Rodger

Although I'm only guessing these numbers may have come from an earlier round headlight model as the square headlight model did add some weight as it moved along.
Just an observation as the plate I showed is from the same model era.

Andy, Rodger, thank you both for the information. I have worked out a max towing capacity of 3500kg in either case.

HJ60RG-MNW
  • GVWR: 2810kg
  • GAWR: 6310kg
  • Maximum axle loads front: 1400kg
  • Maximum axle loads Rear: 1650kg
  • Max towing capacity (GAWR-GVWR): 3500kg

HJ60RG-MV
  • GVWR: 2630kg
  • GAWR: 6130kg
  • Max towing capacity (GAWR-GVWR): 3500kg
Interesting to see the difference in GVW between the two vehicles. Is there a significant between a "MNW" and a "MV"?

Nick.

Last edited:
Although I'm only guessing these numbers may have come from an earlier round headlight model as the square headlight model did add some weight as it moved along.
Just an observation as the plate I showed is from the same model era.

Right, I think you just reply my last question there. Cheers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In your original post you mentioned that Toyota don't have the weight information on file, so I decided to look into this a bit more and found a site that explained why....
The initial weight information is as the vehicle left the factory and they vary according to the vehicle's specification - a fully loaded variant weighs more than a basic model.
But Toyota cannot be responsible for future modifications. When owners add - winch, winch bumper, roof rack, external spare wheel carrier, third battery, fridge and so on in any combination the vehicle's weight changes. And apparently the maximum allowable nose weight of the trailer is incorporated into the weight calculation as well. Hence the manufacturer's inability to commit to the weight as they don't know what has been added (or subtracted).
Interestingly a number of models by other manufacturers can end up when modified with numerous extras where their GVM (gross vehicle mass) exceeds the limits when even quite small trailers/caravans are added...why? With more creature comforts fitted as standard the limits are reached much quicker but then big comfortable electric seats are much heavier than the older styles, etc..
So, using the figures we have, a vehicle weighing 2630 per factory has had 500kgs of permanent extras added then the maximum trailer weight is 3000kgs because the upper limit does not change, or, at least, that is my understanding from what I have read.

Regards,

Rodger

Took a couple of snaps last night after work..
P1010580.JPG

My sq light has the same info as on Andy's pic, but on the glove box it has this label.. it kinda suggests that you can up grade to a higher GVW load.. maybe legislation has changed since 1988 which is when the body was first on the road.. interesting subject though..

@Rodger , interesting post. I am guessing that is partially the reason why Toyota give maximum axle load data.

@iwan_t24 , thanks for confirming your weight data. I think I will take these back to Toyroa tomirtom and ask for a 3509kg max towing capacity.

Nick.

Back