Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Viscous fan oil amount

Rich Sims

Garage
After reading all the threads on this I can't seam to find the exact amount of oil needed when fully drained?

any ideas?

Following the the video last time I put in 100ml which I think was too much.

x2 Rich, mine needs attention too, and whilst I have read loads of different info on it i.e. viscosity when using alternative - with difficulty getting Toyo replacement, have not come across amount when filling from drained.
Saw something giving a visual "height" when filling one half, but that`s no use when you have to know much to buy in the first place!

John

Rich, I don`t know if you already have the silicone oil, or like me you need to get. Most manufacturers do 60ml (some 50) and if 100 is too much perhaps 60 would be enough? There are differing views on viscousity but I have found the one that cropped up most was 1000cst - which is what I will go for - what did you use?
some measure it differently with different figures.
This is shock oil (suspension) for r/c cars, as you probably already know. Did you find the fan was stiff to turn by hand when cold and almost no resistance when hot, when you originally did it which is what I read,- if correct, should happen, some one will correct me if wrong, and maybe some one can shed more light on amount.
John

I used 6000cst last time from rc axles and because I put a lower thermostat in I also lowered the temperature that the fan cuts in but because I have too much oil in it is virtually in all the time.
When I originally adjusted the fan it still had the original oil in it and it worked fine but the I put new oil in it but didn't know how much and I filled it to the bottom of the oval holes as in one of the videos which used 100ml of oil but I since then I've read that too much oil will lock up the fan all the time.

Ive ordered 3000cst this time which is the same as the original as I can fine tune it with the adjustment screws.

Thanks for info Rich, from my browsings no one mentioned that original is 3000cst, so that definately helps, rather than me going by guess work of the majority.
The correct dosage and viscousity will make all the difference to fan operation as per heat and distribution in there. I saw that bit about filling levels, but did not know if the 100ml was a top up, or from empty. Have read about putting that half upside down in a warm oven with a catch tray underneath, so all oil drains, to start again from scratch. Presumably you have the blue coupling as I don`t think the "standard" has the adjusting screws?

John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I drained, washed out with petrol and refilled with 40ml with 3000cst oil and all is good, spinning freely when cold and locking up around 88c ish.

I dont think that it's the thicker oil that makes it come in quicker as that's controlled by the bimetallic coil on the front that controls valves inside, but thicker oil will cause more resistance when not locked up and create more airflow over the engine and through the rad which can be a bad thing.

Quick update.

I found 40ml of 3000cst wasn't enough to gain lock up on the coupling so increased it to 60ml and now locks up when needed.

A good way to test it is after driving up a long
hill or working hard open the bonnet and turn the engine off whilst watching the fan. It should stop immediately with the engine when locked.

Back