Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Waeco/mobicool

If it fits.... indel fridges as sold by trek overland and apb trading have covers. The 30l unit is very close dimensions to the mobicool. No mention of it being an insulating cover so might need something adding. Might also need holes for the handles as the 30l one seems to not have them. Temp display is same place as are the vents etc

I'll know more when it lands but hopefully it'll fit.

Both my Waecos are in these foil bag things. I really don't know if they work better because they work so damn well to begin with but they do protect them from knocks and scrapes.

I've found this works really well too, I've been quite impressed by it. £35 for the cover I've found, even if it just protects it and I add a bit of foil stuff as an extra layer of insulation.

I did find trawling websites selling items like that is dangerous, there's a bag to go on the spare wheel, a slimline 40l water tank which will fit behind the back seats and much much more that I can see making their way into the the 80 lol.

Well the cover turned up
Not a bad fit, will need a few tweaks to bolt the handles on as covers one of the holes. It's bottomless and isn't insulated, I'm going to wrap the fridge in foil bubble wrap stuff so not an issue. Can see the control panel it just covers the on/off switch.
The back velcros together and will need an 'adjustment' as doesn't quite reach.
If need to Will add a couple of straps to hold it on round the bottom on the fridge too, it might stay put with the Handle bolted through
For £35 I'm happy with it. Will help stop any damage.

20161013_163753.jpg
20161013_163804.jpg
20161013_163814.jpg
20161013_163844.jpg

I bought some (very) self adhesive silver insulation at the show last month. I'm guessing that would stick well inside the cover. It was only £10 sq M. Not sure if I have details of where it came from. I'll have a look. Mine were genuine Waeco ones so were already lined, but the you don't half pay for them.

I found the waeco one for the cfx but not cheap like you say Chris. UK stock but £80 and things in the wrong place compared to the mobi. If I'm going to have to modify one cheaper is better lol.
This indel one is pretty close.

Is that the stuff you used on the floor? Seen some stuff on eBay.
Have some dynamat but just about enough for the trans tunnel

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've previously used foil lift insulation a mate had spare to make an insulating cover held together with gaffer tape. Worked very well. But that bag does little look good

On mine I've swapped out the lower bolts for the handles for eyebolts so I can strap it down. I've used 40mm Ines but TBH they are a bit long and needed spacing out with a couple of nuts

So far I've used the handles to strap it down on top of the drawers.
Now have some bearing runners for a fridge slide and need to get back round to making it.

When have some insulation materials, either to attach to the cover or the fridge, I'll update further with what needs doing to make the cover fit securely

Yes that was the stuff Gary.

Heres my DIY 'wrap' before our year long trip.
Worked well but not scientific measures
Was a 60L 'cheapie fridge+freezer($250) (worked well until I below it) but eventually had to switch to Engel

021 (1024x768).jpg

Amazon have the Mobicool coming up in their sale offers again, starts at 11:59am

After having used the mobicool on a few trips, I think its worth thinking through a few bits before buying it.

The major nagatives, addressable, are that its very badly insulated. You are almost certainly going to need to improve on that. Secondly the cooling coils are right at the base. Connected to a metal plate that does not come high enough. So yea, stuff at the bottom is going to freeze and go bad. And the stuff at the top is going to get warm and go bad. So you need to think through how you load it. And almost certainly going to want to use metal containers, sized properly to conduct the cold up ( or the heat down ). And then position your internal thermometer in a way to give you a realistic picture.

The it really does use, as they say, 5amp@12v when the compressor is running. Bigass battery need then for when you are parked up. Do the math.

Finally you do need to keep it well ventilated and out to the heat - it will only cool to a max of 23 to 28 deg below ambient. A problem somewhat addressed by better insulation and ventilation..... but being parked up at supermarket when we did some food ahopping and got lunch, with 32 Deg ambient, inside truck going to 40+...

So would I buy it again for UK and north EU trips? Absolutely. It seems good value and it is. It needs some thinking around how you pack and how you insulate it and how best to ventilate the compressor heatsinks, but I guess you need that with every fridge.

Have to say mine was perfect in Morocco, beers kept nice and cold, fresh produce stayed fresh and no power problems parked up other than a dodgy battery connection. If it wasn't fully stocked drinks at the bottom started to freeze even at 35 degrees outside

Had it set at 0 degress on the control and my thermometer at the top read 3 degrees, I kept drinks in the bottom and food in the top half

We have worked through most of the problems and stuff does stay cold. Just not very frozen once things start getting warm ( as in the weather outside )

Re the draw at 12v, remember this is only when the compressor is running - using this in the UK we regularly park up for 3 days without running the engine and the leisure battery copes with running the fridge, LED lights in the van, 12v power for iPads and the like, and the water pump. Obviously the fridge is using most of the drain, but 3 days is easy, 4 days possible. Not tried this in hotter climates yet, but 3 years on and we've had no issues once we sorted out the best way to pack, as mentioned above. :)

HI

For my penny worth, I have had one of these now for the past couple of years. Its been great, and I think is good value. Its not designed to travel across Africa but and a UK/ Europe trip its fine. I also use it for my workshop when not traveling. Its also pretty quiet.

Regards

G.

Added insulation on mine, foil stuff plus the cover i bought to protect it. Agree about how you pack it makes a difference. I usually have drinks at the bottom, fresh meat products (either boxed or vac packed) then stuff not as temperature critical like fruit, biscuits/chocolate type stuff. Set at 0 and so far seems to work well for our use.

After having used the mobicool on a few trips, I think its worth thinking through a few bits before buying it.

The major nagatives, addressable, are that its very badly insulated. You are almost certainly going to need to improve on that. Secondly the cooling coils are right at the base. Connected to a metal plate that does not come high enough. So yea, stuff at the bottom is going to freeze and go bad. And the stuff at the top is going to get warm and go bad. So you need to think through how you load it. And almost certainly going to want to use metal containers, sized properly to conduct the cold up ( or the heat down ). And then position your internal thermometer in a way to give you a realistic picture.

The it really does use, as they say, 5amp@12v when the compressor is running. Bigass battery need then for when you are parked up. Do the math.

Finally you do need to keep it well ventilated and out to the heat - it will only cool to a max of 23 to 28 deg below ambient. A problem somewhat addressed by better insulation and ventilation..... but being parked up at supermarket when we did some food ahopping and got lunch, with 32 Deg ambient, inside truck going to 40+...
Sounds like you are talking about a different Mobicool here, GeekO.
Anyhow, I have not seen any of those problems with my FR-40. And the specs say that it can cool down to 42 deg under ambient; or to specific, that if the ambient is over 32 C, the minimum of minus 10 C cannot be reached.
It's good to have rear windows which can be cracked open when parking under the sun.

Wonder if I have a doggy unit... its the fr35 I have. It certainly came from domestic.

Back