Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: Second Car (opinions and recommendations welcome)

L200. Lots of rot boxes, but also a good number of decent ones. 2.5 engines are better than the later 2.8s.

It’s mostly needed to get her and some light equipment up and down the M1 to London once or twice a week which takes us
If a Mini is currently doing the job , why not a Celica? This is on our shortlist to replace the Civic.

Got to be really careful on those 3.0 l trooper lumps. Bad engine's. They finished the trooper off. Older 3.1 Much better engine but slower. 3.0l prone to injectors at £200 a piece and very few places on the UK have the software to set them up. Ive read guys having to trailer them 2/250 miles to have them sorted on the trooper forum. Oil pressure sensors liners and injector seals filling the sump with diesel. Add rusty fuel tanks and lines as standard and they can become money pits.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If a Mini is currently doing the job , why not a Celica? This is on our shortlist to replace the Civic.

That’s the thing. The Mini was never intended for this sort of thing and is fairly useless. I have looked at ‘sportier’ options including the heavenly Yota but I’m just too square and boxy at heart.

Got to be really careful on those 3.0 l trooper lumps. Bad engine's. They finished the trooper off. Older 3.1 Much better engine but slower. 3.0l prone to injectors at £200 a piece and very few places on the UK have the software to set them up. Ive read guys having to trailer them 2/250 miles to have them sorted on the trooper forum. Oil pressure sensors liners and injector seals filling the sump with diesel. Add rusty fuel tanks and lines as standard and they can become money pits.
So what you are basically staying here Gav, is to stick with the land cruisers then :)

So what you are basically staying here Gav, is to stick with the land cruisers then :)
I love buying and selling a few old 4x4s as a little sideline to carpentry and building. Ive sold lot's of troopers including a couple of 3 litre ones . I've only ever paid peanuts for 3 litres on the basis they could well end up scrap. I'm toyota to the core don't worry about that. 2 80s a 100 and a mint mk4 hilux on the drive and there staying there. I've got a 3.1 lbw trooper here at the moment that ive known the owner of since its import in 2003. It's covered a genuine 20900 kms or 15 000 miles. It's looking for a new owner too.

I do like an Isuzu and keep an eye out but I know nothing about them and the difference in price compared to a Colorado would make me go for the Cruiser every time.

This little white 1990 petrol Trooper caught my eye but obviously not something I'd go anywhere near.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264075758164

Looking back over your original post, for road, mainly motorway work, with £2k to spend and if you can find a decent one, a Sierra Ghia 2.9i 4x4. Failing that,a good example of the aforementioned Volvo V70 estate. I had a Sierra back on the late 90’s. Loads of room with or without the rear seats down, strong reliable engine and drive train, no electronics and went like stink. I bought mine with a cracked block (frozen coolant) and fetched a replacement engine back from a breakers in Nottingham, fitted in the rear load space easily.

Looking back over your original post, for road, mainly motorway work, with £2k to spend and if you can find a decent one, a Sierra Ghia 2.9i 4x4. Failing that,a good example of the aforementioned Volvo V70 estate. I had a Sierra back on the late 90’s. Loads of room with or without the rear seats down, strong reliable engine and drive train, no electronics and went like stink. I bought mine with a cracked block (frozen coolant) and fetched a replacement engine back from a breakers in Nottingham, fitted in the rear load space easily.

You do realise we're now in 2018, nearly 2019? :wtf: :lol: I can't remember the last time I saw ANY Sierra, let alone a 2.9i 4x4!!!

With a budget of £2k - I would do a search on Autotrader of all the cars under £1500 within a 10 mile radius, preferably private sellers, with your minimum criteria and preferences i.e. 5 seats, body shape/estate, engine size etc. Then see what pops up - depends on how urgently you need to buy but there's bound to be something that sparks your interest over the next few weeks.

Then you'll have £500 quid left over to give it a decent service and sundries such as a new tyre or two if required.

At that price point, I would buy on condition and "buy the seller" too. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Skoda Octavia estate or Scout ? You could always wear dark glasses........:sunglasses:

Skoda Octavia estate or Scout ? You could always wear dark glasses........:sunglasses:

Now that would be a cheap, solid, sensible choice of car. I have a lot of respect for Skodas and I think they’re nicer than VWs in many ways but I’m not sure about owning one. Will have a browse. Have you got one?

No Ford's mentioned? 2k will get you a fair focus.

Tbh Rich I think they’re too close to the MPV camp. I’ve already pitched Pinins and Delicas but both have been turned down.
They’re not that big Jacob. Slightly smaller than a Meriva.

Will have a browse. Have you got one?

Not an Octavia, but had a couple of Fabias with the 1.9 diesel in them in the family. Not too much trouble with them, nothing major, steering sensor, console bushes, a wheel bearing and a couple of springs (rough track here) in 160k apart from normal service items. Also had a 90s Passat diesel estate that survived to well over 200k until being side swiped.

No Ford's mentioned? 2k will get you a fair focus.

I’ve driven quite a few Focuses and Mondeos for work lately. Nothing wrong with them but just a bit plain and uninteresting. Same reason why I’m not looking at Ford-era Volvos which are otherwise decent value.

Back