Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Water leak - middle doors at bottom

thelal

Country Flag
ireland
Suffering with water on interior lower carpet material on the bottom inside of both middle doors after lots of rain
I've changed the outside bellhousing (if thats the name) plastic trim and that helped a little
I've opened up the doors and can't figure out where the water is getting in.
The inside cardboard trim is getting soggy and fed up trying to dry them out.

I suspect I need new plastic (see thru) membrane thats got black tacky 'glue' to keep the water out.
Any ideas on this part number or what else could be causing the problem.

Cheers

is it this? https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/6784160040
67841-60040
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...EFYRVEeAAAAAAtXpV4$&vid=0&cid=3&uid=342677&q=

upload_2019-12-30_12-29-44.png

I don’t know anything about 80’s and someone here is bound to give you the right info but when my 70 was ‘filling footwells’ with rainwater it was that the moonroof drains run into the sill and the sill drains were blocked so it back fed into the cabin. Not sure the plastic on the inside of the doors does anything much? Certainly I’ve ripped the fixing things etc to no ill effect in various cars

Suffering with water on interior lower carpet material on the bottom inside of both middle doors after lots of rain
I've changed the outside bellhousing (if thats the name) plastic trim and that helped a little
I've opened up the doors and can't figure out where the water is getting in.
The inside cardboard trim is getting soggy and fed up trying to dry them out.

I suspect I need new plastic (see thru) membrane thats got black tacky 'glue' to keep the water out.
Any ideas on this part number or what else could be causing the problem.

Cheers
Are the drain holes on the bottom of the door clear?

Blocked sunroof drains will soak the footwell carpets but not the door bottoms. Water will always get past the outer window seals into the door cavities, hence the drain holes. The plastic membrane is there to keep the back of the door card dry so if it’s torn or loose the card will get wet. If the membrane is beyond repair I’d just cut one from a sheet of tough polythene and attach it with a bead of silicone.

Holes at bottom of doors are clear.

Definitely just bottom of doors and not coming in on main floor but know what you mean in relation to roof overflows.

Having difficulty trying to find right type of plastic to replace it with

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just got the plastic membrane from toyota and the butyl tape off ebay.

Any builders plastic sheet will be fine

Here's when I did mine a few years ago.
32524-2ba8650eb2d485d0d72d42c833d470d3.jpg

If your gonna make your own I would use
Visqueen.

If you have the door card off, reach down into the bottom seam and Check for a build up of crud that may be preventing the door from draining properly as well. I had that problem on my fronts.

Yep - had that issue but popped off the trim and got a new one. Didn't know sliding it out was an option. Good find

Back