Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

water pump options on Kzj95

wobbly

Garage
As discussed on a seperate thread, I believe the 'chirping' noise the truck is making is the bearing on the water pump.

Its a 1kzte engine, and a quick look on the internet tells me these are an expensive commodity.

Has anyone done this job recently?

Is Mr T the best option for parts, or is there a reputable alternative.

Not sure about 2nd gand, cooling issues on this engine not to be done by half measures.

Pete

Ignore last.

Seems I was looking at a pump for a new toyota sportscar!

Roughtrax pump is about £80.00, (saving me £420 over the one I looked at last night!)

Is it necessary to remove the radiator in order to swap the water pump? Battery coming out creates some space.

Dont suppose bob has done a thread on pump replacement?

Pete

No need to remove the radiator, i did my pump twice as the the first(non genuine) one the bearing collapsed within 18months so it now has a genuine yota one fitted i got it through our parts man on here. The pump comes in two parts it has a rear alloy housing if you fit this the timing belt has to come off, i did this as it makes sense whilst your in there and i wanted to change the timing belt anyway, but if you leave the old alloy housing on you can just change the pump without touching the timing, you might want to change your coolant or depending how old it is reuse it, and the thermostat is near the bottom of the engine block by the alternator this might also be worth changing whilst the belts are off the alternator and aircon.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

I have found a thread on pump replacement on here, seeing photos helps me get thinfs straight in my head .

I was going to order a pattern pump from roughtrax together with a load of other service and minor repair bits.

Where was your pump from that failed?

Pete

Milners, I might of been unlucky and got a rogue one as when i phoned them they hadn't had any others reported, as you said the cooling on these engines is crucial, so as im driving to Italy this year i went for a genuine one.

Hi there Pete :icon-biggrin:

When I needed a new water pump I ended up ordering one from Milners and was sent out a genuine Toyota one much to my surprise :icon-biggrin: It may be worth giving them a call to see if they currently have any genuine ones on the shelf. Here's a link to the thread that I started when I replaced my own http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...-I-need-a-new-water-pump?highlight=water+pump

P3280457.jpg

P3280458.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dont suppose bob has done a thread on pump replacement?

Pete

I think I may have done - I can't remember now. If I did it will be on "The Other Side" :lol:.

I replaced mine with a pattern job from a local Motor Factors, it cost about £110 from memory and has been fine.

I took a lot of pictures so if you need to see what I did just shout.

(I took the radiator out, it doesn't take long and reduces the risk of damage).

Bob.

Cheers Steve, I will give milners a call and ask, but unless its genuine I dont fancy their pattern stuff, too many stories of failures.

Bob, I found steves thread and it has put my mind at rest, reckon this job is within my ability.

Might even do the cam belt setup and new rad whilst I am there, and new stat for good measure!

Cheers for the help.

Pete

I have a 1kzte water pump, used but in very good condition, can get pics if you're interested.

I did mine a week before my truck went in the container.

Mine was also a genuine Toyota one from Milners. Generally I've found Milner prices to be better than Roughtrax.

But as youve already seen/read Its a very easy job. I left my rad in and it took me about an hour in total. :thumbup:

Spoke to milners, they tell me their water pumps are pattern parts. Spose icould order on the chance its a genuine part.

Milners are about 20% cheaper than roughtrax, but the bits I need, water pump and drop links, both have threads on here saying the milners ones have failed. Bit offputting.

Pete

If Milner say it's genuine, it's genuine. If they say it's pattern, they aren't guessing. Trust me. They're pattern.

If you order, hoping for a miracle, you will be disappointed when you open the box. :cry:

Santa.

Edit - to be fair, you say that there are posts saying that the drop links have failed. Well, there's been one recently. But you are ignoring the many threads where we have used them just fine. People often tighten the drop links up too much so that they can't move. The nuts only need nipping till the rubbers tighten

Last edited:
I removed my rear ARB a long long time back and about the same time replaced the front drop links with Milner ones, Infact it was before my first Lincomb. I've had no trouble with them or any service parts that I've bought from Milners since I've owned a Cruiser and I have to say that I find their service and postage exceptional. It's always worth giving them a call before ordering anything and then just doing it on the phone instead of online I find. The only thing that I wouldn't order from Milners, Roughtrax or any other Motorfactor would be oil seals, Main Stealer only for me with seals.

I hear you.

I will price everything up from both. Realistically, I dont know if Roughtrax pattern parts are any better than Milners pattern parts.

Last time I bought service parts it was from a Motaquip dealer, the stuff that turned up was either chinese or moroccan! I used motaquip cos their website talks about being original equipment manufacturers, ISO numbers etc, then the kit is no better than anyone else selling pattern items.

In an ideal world I would buy Toyota genuine parts, but even with our discount there is an appreciable difference.

Cheers

Pete

Water pump arrived, its a gmb part, looks like it should.

They do include the pump and the base/housing it sits on. I guess this is because they are a matched item and it reduces the chance of parts clashing if you only change the pump impellor part? Good in theory, but means the cambelt etc has to come off, may just fit the pump and leave the original base.

Any strong opinions / experiences either way?

Droplinks look a tad on the thinner side, will check when I replace them.

The tensioner for the aircon belt is a Toyota part, so saved me about £30.00, which is good.

Garage floor beckons......

Pete

Back