Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

Its mostly a gut feeling Byron when working out the mileage combined with some common sense. On tarmac I go on what the route planner says and add in a little extra for breaks.

Off road section it tends to be 150-200km a day average, less in the mountains more in good flat desert. Our first day from Smara south will be over 250km roughly, but I've done this day twice now so I know after a rocky bit to start you get out onto big wide desert and can safely double the speed.

Time wise I tend to work on a 8 - 10 hour day from leaving in the morning to stopping at night, including stops.

Not being on a fixed 3 week break means this trip can be more leisurely generally

Hi Mark,

Hope the Diff goes well!

Planned route sounds good to me, as I said I prefer mountains to sand but, as you say, if the snow is too deep and cold, the sand may look more attractive; I'll pack the tow rope, shovel and sand ladders - and get an additional oil cooler plumbed in for the auto box.

We sail from Blighty on 28th in the evening; arrive Santander 29th, evening, so we'll stay in Santander or close by on 29th. Allowing two days for Spain we will stay in the deep South on 31st and catch a boat on the morning of 1st April so we should get to Fez/Azrou late on that day; any recommendations on ferries; I am assuming there is no need to book in advance. Have you decided which hotel/campsite you'll be in in Azrou or, assuming you've got a CB, you can tell me the channel and my CB survives customs we make contact that way - otherwise I guess my mobile will work expensively in Morocco!

Its mostly a gut feeling Byron when working out the mileage combined with some common sense. On tarmac I go on what the route planner says and add in a little extra for breaks.

Off road section it tends to be 150-200km a day average, less in the mountains more in good flat desert. Our first day from Smara south will be over 250km roughly, but I've done this day twice now so I know after a rocky bit to start you get out onto big wide desert and can safely double the speed.

Time wise I tend to work on a 8 - 10 hour day from leaving in the morning to stopping at night, including stops.

Not being on a fixed 3 week break means this trip can be more leisurely generally

How long are those stops :screamcat:

Sounds good Mark!:) I'll meet you in Essaouira on the Apr 11th evening time.....

Hi Mark,

Hope the Diff goes well!

Planned route sounds good to me, as I said I prefer mountains to sand but, as you say, if the snow is too deep and cold, the sand may look more attractive; I'll pack the tow rope, shovel and sand ladders - and get an additional oil cooler plumbed in for the auto box.

We sail from Blighty on 28th in the evening; arrive Santander 29th, evening, so we'll stay in Santander or close by on 29th. Allowing two days for Spain we will stay in the deep South on 31st and catch a boat on the morning of 1st April so we should get to Fez/Azrou late on that day; any recommendations on ferries; I am assuming there is no need to book in advance. Have you decided which hotel/campsite you'll be in in Azrou or, assuming you've got a CB, you can tell me the channel and my CB survives customs we make contact that way - otherwise I guess my mobile will work expensively in Morocco!

For tickets I always go with Carlos in Algerciras, I'll dig out the details later for everyone. I normally email them a few days before and get a price for an Open Return to Tanger Med and then pay cash on collection from their office. There are loads of other options in Algerciras for buying tickets on the day but if you plan an early ferry I'd pick the tickets up the night before

Azrou is about 5 hours mostly on the motorway from Azrou, the direct route is nicer scenery but slower. If you plan to get the ferry to Azrou it'll be a long day. Theres only 1 campsite worthstaying at in Azrou, Eurocamping just outside the town, again I'll post details of the campsite and a waypoint. I've found an interesting looking route from here :). Alternativley we could skip the mount bit meet somewhere in Fes area and then take the motorwy to Guercif before heading south across the Rekkam.

I have a CB but only a cheapy so until we meet up mobiles will probably be best

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Morning coffees not a problem, I have installed one of ARB's brand new Barista Bumpers (your not a proper "overlander until you have one ;) )View attachment 112781

So Mark, does this make me a "Proper Overlander" then?

Bumper IMG_3238.JPG

did I tell you about the salt pans where too much weight could mean you break the surface ? :)

Looks very nice, I'm still in shock over my diff costs

did I tell you about the salt pans where too much weight could mean you break the surface ? :)

Looks very nice, I'm still in shock over my diff costs

Don't blame you :fearscream:, fingers crossed that your diff gets properly sorted. I am very pleased with the bumper and expect to get the winch all wired in tomorrow. Then I just have to find some reason to use it. Salt pans! Not worried about breaking the surface as the bumper would never get through :)

I don't go on salt flats after almost getting caught in this. They were stuck for almost a day.
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG

After many frustrating attempts in the attached file is a .gpx file with some useful waypoints in, Ticket place in Algeciras, Repair Places, Azrou Campsite, Hotel in Essaouira and few speed checks. You'll need to upzip it to use the file in your satnav etc.

Take particular note of the waypoint Bad Cop, this is just after the toll as you leave the motorway from Marrakech on the way to Essaouira.

Attachments

• Waypoints Maroc.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi Mark,

I've been rethinking the journey down to meet you and am now planning to get a ferry lateish on 31st March and I've booked a hotel on the outskirts of Tangier for that night; should be pretty tired by then! This will mean that, all being well, we can meet at a sensible hour on April 1st; let us know what suits you best as a meeting point.

I am amazed you and Byron can get your insurers to accept newly fitted bullbars; when I asked mine (Aviva) they said "they're illegal, we'll cancel your policy if you fit one" - so I didn't. They didn't seem to know if they would accept a heavy duty bumper without pedestrian shredding bars so I didn't push it - but if anyone has a good 2nd hand one for an 80 for sale I might give it a go.

John

Hi John,

I don't have a bulbar ;) the earlier picture was a bit of a joke.

Not sure which ferry your planning on getting into Morocco but Tanger Med port is about 50km from Tangier town, but is apparently an easier customs experience. The waypoints in the above post include one for Carlos Ferry Tickets which is where I get mine. I email in advance to get a price for an open return and then purchase on the day (email address is [email protected]). Along with the ticket you'll get copies of the immigration form you need to fill in and also a TVIP (or D16). Passport control is done on the ferry, you'll need the immigration form filled in and your passport. Look for the que of people as the ferry sets sail.

Once you arrive in Morocco, you'll face customs and need the TVIP form, drive upto the customs and enjoy chaos as you get processed. Sometimes its really easy and other times it takes a while. If you need insurance for the truck in Morocco, it can be purchased at the row of huts after you exit customs, works out about 90euro for a month. There are also ATM's and change places to get some Moroccan currency at the port.

If your arriving at Tanger Med its straight out onto the Motorway, first services is about 30mintes towards Tangier.

If we meet at Eurocamping in Azrou on the 1st that's works for me (Waypoint in the attachment above). I aim to be there for mid afternoon I suppose at the moment. The motorway is the fastest easiest route roughly 4.5hours without breaks, alternatively head towards Tetuaon, Chefchoen, Meknes then on to Azrou, probably another 2 hours or so on the journey but a bit more interesting. Don't be tempted to drive down the middle on what seems like a good direct route, its very slow and not particularly interesting.

I am amazed you and Byron can get your insurers to accept newly fitted bullbars; when I asked mine (Aviva) they said "they're illegal, we'll cancel your policy if you fit one" - so I didn't. They didn't seem to know if they would accept a heavy duty bumper without pedestrian shredding bars so I didn't push it - but if anyone has a good 2nd hand one for an 80 for sale I might give it a go.

John

Hi John, Bull bars may be illegal but Winch bars are not. I.e. you have to have a valid reason for fitting stuff to the front of your car. Bit of a grey area. Loads of info about this subject on the web.

Last edited:
After many frustrating attempts in the attached file is a .gpx file with some useful waypoints in, Ticket place in Algeciras, Repair Places, Azrou Campsite, Hotel in Essaouira and few speed checks. You'll need to upzip it to use the file in your satnav etc.

Take particular note of the waypoint Bad Cop, this is just after the toll as you leave the motorway from Marrakech on the way to Essaouira.

Hi Mark

Just loaded your gpx file into Pocket Earth and it looks good. Very helpful, thanks Mark.

I would love to see the routes you have planned for us now that you have mastered saving a gpx file :).

I spent hours today running the cables for my new winch as I had to remove the solenoid from the winch to make it fit inside the bumper. My first idea was pants but I am very happy with the 2nd. Took ages to undo everything and start again though. I may well have a working winch for our trip :openmouth:.

Hopefully we won't need a winch but you never know!

I'll upload the .gpx for the route when I've tidied it up a bit. At the moment it has loads of random routes which I'm trying to connect up

Hi Byron,
Well that's a distinction I've never seen before but if your insurers are happy there's no problem. However, if it were me I would worry if I didn't have their agreement in writing before some drunk walks in front of the bars and his heirs look for someone to blame.

Cheers
John

Back