Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is the safe wading depth without a snorkel?

Hi Guys,

We're off to Wales at the end of the month and I haven't fitted the ol' Snorkel yet :naughty:

I will fit the breathers before then :thumbup:

What is the safest wading depth I could achieve without risking damage?

Any advice and/or horror stories appreciated :?:

Should have seen that one coming :clap:

3 inches.............

Thus x + 3 inches....................what is x? :think:

Standard wading depth is 70cm - so almost to the top of the tyre. With some momentum you can probably drive with water almost to bonnet level with a decent bow wave but you are flirting with disaster... especially if you stop in such deep water :evil:

Well I have a snorkel, it has been in the box for over 3 years!!! I have a 2" lift and 33" tyres, I have the bow wave well over the bonnet!! I would say about 4 foot of water, was it safe, not sure, but it did not do any damage.

Paul

If you can find any water that deep, give me a shout and I'll come and play too. Rare it's much deeper than your tyres. OK the Corwen Carwash can be VERY deep and 'snorks' only to cross it, but not been that wet I don't think.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was going to say that too - most of the water crossings are very low at the moment with the lack of rain...

Whereabouts are you heading GDS??

Chris said:
If you can find any water that deep, give me a shout and I'll come and play too. Rare it's much deeper than your tyres. OK the Corwen Carwash can be VERY deep and 'snorks' only to cross it, but not been that wet I don't think.

Chris

Chris, you need to ask Keith the depth I have driven the car wash. Keith yould not drive it, so I came back across. Then again that was in a land rover.

BTW the bow wave was just, and I mean just, below the snorkel top.

Paul

Gav Peter said:
I was going to say that too - most of the water crossings are very low at the moment with the lack of rain...

Whereabouts are you heading GDS??

We're off to Newquay in Wales and then out and about wild camping and exploring with some locals.................

Better safe than sorry ;)

Paul_Humphreys said:
Chris said:

Chris

Chris, you need to ask Keith the depth I have driven the car wash. Keith yould not drive it, so I came back across. Then again that was in a land rover.

BTW the bow wave was just, and I mean just, below the snorkel top.

Paul

True...very true....he's MAD. :evil: The river was a raging torrent and it was taking him down stream fast, :shock: it wasn't until he had enough water in the motor that he sank enough to get traction and was able to drive back up the river to exit, must have taken him down stream at least 15 to 20 ft......BONKERS the man is. :lol: My Disco was a lot more water proof round the doors and i'm bloody sure I would just have been washed away. I was pooing myself just watching him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris said:

Chris

Yes Corwen,,,,
That was one of my first water crossings with out the snorkel.
It is a bit nervey when the water starts lapping the wipers.
Then the rear end started to float a little,

Graham

Back