Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What LC to buy? 40; 70 or other?

Hi Michal. argh tricky one, my wife absolutely hates driving the 40, although loves the 100 but i don't take it off road therefore i thought a good compromise is a 70. which worked i think, one thing i have noticed is that when it needs work, modfying or is empty of fuel it becomes mine, she only likes it running and full of fuel!!!! anyway i average around 23 mpg with the 70 and i dont go anywhere in a hurry, the 100 only does about 24 mog and the 40 is down to around 8-10 mpg, but they are all shaped like leeds town hall so dont expect much. i like the look of the forty and so does the wife however driving it doesn't work for her, it too much effort or so she says. i wanted her to come off road with me and thought buying the 70 would allow this (and it does) but i have driven it and it is more than capable and very comfortable (compared to the 40) i dont know what MPG you can expect from the 4.2 but it will around the same 23/24 ish however it will have a lot more torque and power than my 2LT but its fine for me for now, but i think the next purchase will be the HZJ73, i think the slight extra length will make it less skitish and more comfortable than a SWB plus there is more than enough room to carry extra gear (tents etc). i think a 70 with a big diesel engine would be a great truck and cover all the bases of all the trucks i currently have, i personally prefer the round headlamps on the 70 series over the later style but then again i am a bit of a luddite!. good luck with the search let me know how it all goes cheers Jon

Hi Jon, I was checking this thread but did not realize there was already a second page until today, so sorry for the late reply!
I already have somethin in mind! Put down a deposit for a HZJ74! :)
Finishing the deal this SAT, so will post some pics later in here. The car is in good technical shape but has a few cosmetic flaws. The interior is really run down.
Looks like it used to be someones love car until it was sold and started to be used for carrying bricks or metal or something heavy like that - looking at the interior.
The drivers seat is quite badly damaged - the cloth torn a lot and the filling ripped out by 1/3 of the seating surface.
Now I am looking to see whether I should have these refurbished or whether I should buy other.
Do you think leather or cloth is the better choice? The only thing I think of against leather is that you sweat like hell if you sit on it for long times.. Also not sure, how long the seats last - could buy a pair now but they seem like from around 1990 and are in leather.
Will post some pics later this weekend. Would also eventually buy the seats on saturday. Also I will be looking for the altimeter gauge which is unfortunately not fitted.

Cheers, Red

Hi Red, i was beginning to wonder what happend, did you go see that HJJ73 in Holland? how was it? this one sounds great, we need piccies, been looking at a BJ74 myself. i think yours is a bit later with the 4.2 engine, wouldn't worry too much about seats get some covers and then find some others or some bucket style seats. first things first use it! leather makes it easier to clean but perhaps recloth them and add some waterproof covers, give it a damn good clean first to see extend of work needed, whats the body like? good luck with the truck, cheers Jon

Hi Jon,
Before i organized myself to go to see the one in Belgium it was gone. Then I went to see another in NL but that was really run down with loads of rust and knocked out windows. And than by accident I stumbeled upon the 74. And it took me two hours of walking around it and checking before i fell in love with her. She is in good shape technically and the body has a few bumps and scratches, missing the laminat wheel arch extensions, bit broken mask and two small places with full rust and two with starting rust. So will need some welding but the most work will be in the interior :D Thats completely knocked to bottoms and used extensively without a slightest sight of care..theres mold in the carpets, stains on the roof from inside but nothing that could be improved ;) Will post some pics on the weekend! And the seats lets see - got two leather ones offered but might just have the old ones refurbished..how does the filling of the seats usually hold on the pre-1990 trucks?

Cheers,

Red

Back