Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what to do in Marrakech

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As per title, Mrs JB and I are off to Marrakech in April. First time away on our own for 21 years (ouch). Only there for four nights. We are generally beach/pool/shopping types on holiday, however that doesn't mean we will be this time.
All/any suggestions greatly received.
TIA

Well what do you want to do.......?

With only 4 nights it kinda excludes to much travelling around, but if you could fit it in hire a car and head down through the High Atlas to Ait Benhaddou just south of them for a quick taste and to realise you need to go in the Toyota :D

In Marrakech well theres loads to do, head to Djemaa El Fna the main square and watch the entertainment, it's out of this world at night, loads of eating places although the ones with a view over the square charge a premium. Chez Chergrouni at the left on the way into the souk is good, cheap and quick. The Marrakechi a few doors along is 5 Star or eat at ones of the stalls in the square.

Spend some time wondering around the souks enjoy the shops are prepare to get lost at least once :lol:

Other recommended sites

Majorelle Gardens - renovated by Yves Saint Laurent are great even for a non gardner.
Saadian Tombs
Marrakech Museum
Palais Bahia and el-Badi
Take a Caleche Ride (Horse & Cart Taxi)

In fact pretty much the main sights any guide book references, you can really do most of the main sights in a couple of days in comfort

Something I've not visited but will next time I'm in Morocco are these
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/dead-trees-marrakech

Any questions ask away I've been travelling Morocco for 15 years now

You won't forget the tanneries in a hurry. Tip - take the handful of mint leaves when it's offered.

That's a great start, thanks. Truthfully we don't know what we want - unique position, this not having to think of anyone but us two !!
Heard that about the tanneries ;)

Just had a nice mail from the place (Riad Chayma for those interested) saying transfers arranged fixed price for us, and that they have organised a complimentary 3 course meal for our first night. Good start.

np, the tanneries are interesting but very smelly :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do the Fna main square at night......reminded me of those post-apocalypse films. Plenty of distractions, smoke, smells, colours, sounds, people.......a fair share of pick-pockets like any large city/tourist destination , snake charmers etc . Brilliant place....no hesitation to walk around unguided...just be "street aware". There's plenty of historical and religious sites within 5-10 minutes walk of each other, palaces/museums. The tanneries are worth a visit, bit of a walk out to the edge of the city to find them but you'll see a slightly different side of the city getting there. Lots of artisans - leather, metalworking, etc. Lots of pocket guides covering the city

Back