Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When a Centre Differential Lets Go !

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I have a couple of Transfer Boxes on the bench with the intention of building one good one out of the pair for the owner, Ali (ILLYSINSTA on the other site :eusa-whistle:).

The box that came out of his truck is very corroded on the outside. In fact the bash plate that protects the lower casting is rotted away and fell apart when I finally got the bolts out.

By contrast, the inside is the cleanest I have seen and I haven't found any wear - due to age & use - anywhere.

The Centre Differential was in the locked (HL) position, and I couldn't move the sliding pinion that locks it . . . Not looking good.

So I took the end cover off the Diff . . . . .

Now, a Planet Carrier (the bit inside the drum) should look like this:

DSCN7557_zpsscoqfu9g.jpg

But when I took the end cover off, this is what fell out :shock::

DSCN5570_zpsbd54ogo3.jpg

DSCN5571_zps4f4gcons.jpg

This is what happens when the truck is run on dry roads with the Centre Diff locked (though I have never seen one so completely destroyed before :icon-rolleyes:).

Despite this damage, the insides were beautifully clean:

DSCN5574_zpskb3nxmvy.jpg

So, the moral of this little tale is - Don't lock the Centre Diff on a dry road for more than a few seconds :eusa-naughty:.

Bob.

Ouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As strong as they might be shows what a load of torque can do to metal.

That won't buff-out will it :lol:

Beautifully clean though, even the breaks look clean, it must have just exploded!

Good lesson-learned post :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing Bob. i always like to see how it all works inside the transfer box (or in this case how it didnt:lol:).

I unwittingly ran mine locked on tarmac for about 40 km a few years back, but all appears to have survived well and works perfectly... Thankfully. Another informative insight there Bob, thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's probably worth making a sticker with that picture and the words 'don't forget to unlock your diff' or such like to stick in the car next to the diff lock switch. Would probably sell on eBay! [emoji6]

Last edited:
Back