Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When technology really does replace difflocks

She has a great job! Must be fun viewing and reporting on all these 4x4 (ish) trials.

Wow!

I’d like a set of those wheels, erm tracks, no wheels, erm tracks :shock:
I saw this a few days ago. Some very neat and clever stuff out there. I’m liking the wheel Motors particularly.

When you have a (separate) electric motor driving each wheel, differentials and difflocks will be redundant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I get your point but on the other hand, all 4 of your "engines" would have to fail before you were left stranded in the middle of nowhere......

I would think that with the torque characteristics of electric motors, they would suit off road vehicles very well?

The elephant in the room, currently is recharging but I'm sure that in a few years, we will get over those issues too.

I get your point but on the other hand, all 4 of your "engines" would have to fail before you were left stranded in the middle of nowhere......

I would think that with the torque characteristics of electric motors, they would suit off road vehicles very well?

The elephant in the room, currently is recharging but I'm sure that in a few years, we will get over those issues too.
that has been addressed by some companies, I think Jaguar is one, they use an internal combusion engine to act like a generator to charge the batteries where needed, which then power the individual motors on the wheels.

Did she swallow a bullshit pill!!
Oh you got that too then moggy, I hate that American speak, never use one word where ten will do. But a very interesting vehicle all the same.

We’ve already got Formula “e” so I suppose it won’t be long before a manufacturer comes up with a descent attempt at a properly capable “e” all-terrain “SUV”.

Good old diesel-electric, been around for donkeys’ years...

Not too sure of the relative efficiency, but big diesels like that have a limited rev range, so being able to run them at a constant optimum speed is good In something of that size (or in a locomotive or ship). The advantage of electric motors is that they do away with the need for a clutch or fluid coupling and conventional drivetrain (with associated energy losses) and give full torque as soon as they’re turning.

Back