Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where are we heading?

Hi Frank
the Jazz is bit small really so was the civic to be fair lookig for an estate really but might just keep the prado. Its easy really apart from the fuel on a run but i take my 80 most of the time and dont really mind in that.
stu

Maybe more for the expedition oriented, but either of these with the 4.5 V8 single turbo:

Plenty of mods available. And the double-cab bakkie could be the winner ...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386775465.251032.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386775465.251032.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386775472.779352.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386775472.779352.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 81
I do love them Gary would have one anyday. May be when i move to SA i will get one to gop with the 80. they are alot of money for such a basic vehicle.
Stu

Bad News! My Golf is at the VAG dealers. The car has not stored a fault so they cannot fix it. So I'm left with a car that's only done 20,000 miles and may well not start. I can't sell it with my sort of conscience without disclosing the fault.

Frank

does the golf not have a idiot light on then?
stu

The fact it hasn't stored a fault doesn't mean it can't be fixed.....surely when they restart the car the same thing will happen?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No warning lights on the dash have ever come on and when they plug their computer in there is no fault shown. So I've told them to keep the car and I'll get another one.

Frank

The future for us is already here and has been for a good many years - it's 80 shaped :whistle: Mine is probably worth the same now as when I bought it and that's likely to continue so whilst it isn't quite as efficient on fuel as say a 120 it's also not devaluing faster than I can put extra fuel in my 80. At 16 years old with 187k ish on the clock the condition it is in now (and it's nothing special) I can't see why it will wear out before I die, am not able to drive, get bored or it's legislated off the road whichever comes soonest.

Trouble is nowadays at the main stealerships they don't have " mechanics " all they have are " technicians " that plug a diagnostic tool in & it tells them what to do, when this fails to tell them what to do there bolloxed, a good traditional mechanic will have the experience to get round this, not blowing his trumpet but my boy's a mechanic in a small workshop behind mine, he works on all cars not just one make & there's not a week goes by without a larger garage sending one in they can't cure.

Jon

Problem is they ain't making any more, and every year the number on the road is getting smaller. So finding one now isn't easy, but its still possible - but in 5 years?

At least the 100 is a viable alternative.

Pete

I can honestly say I will always own and run an 80 till the day I pop my clogs.

There's still plenty of good 80s about. People just aren't realistic about what they are buying IMHO.

People go out to try and find an 80 with 5k in there back pocket and expect something that looks like its just come out of the showroom. IMO any 24v 80 on the road is work 3.5-4k in any condition.

Pete
It's an intermittent fault so I expect they will keep starting it throughout the coming days to see if it happens. It hasn't done it with them yet.

Frank

Heres a glimpse of the future - 2 days a go i attempted to contact Toyota UK via their website but once i entered the year of my truck the email refused to send . So i got on the phone regarding my front lower ball joints and was directed to my nearest local Toyota . 2 minutes on the phone them had me redirected , to a receptionists who explained all the more technically minded staff were currently busy so she took my details with a promise to call me back ...... 2 days ago !

I have already given serious thought to buying a second truck identical to my own and storing it in a barn so replacement parts will always be available but it seems an unnecessary lump of money to spend , or does it ?

One of my customers used to do exactly this! A new MR2, 2 off those, a new Harley, 2 of them, a new machine x2, he had a basement in his factory that was full of stuff! He had a new factory built in Oxford, with a pool for the employess 2 stories up! Somewhate excentric, but a good laugh :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Problem is they ain't making any more, and every year the number on the road is getting smaller. So finding one now isn't easy, but its still possible - but in 5 years?
Overall availability may stay about the same with less vehicles in total but fewer people wanting them, because they are old and basic compared to the alternatives. I like 100's but for me the diesels are an uncomfortable mix of mechanical black box injection pump controlled by an electronic black box that doesn't like to let the outside work know what's going on when something fails so can be a nightmare to diagnose.

Andrew T;378045 They are great and when you get the spec book out they are not too much smaller than an 80. Certainly just as fast said:
Mine maxes out at around 105 on the sat-nav. I think it depends on which fuel, or any road gradient, or headwind is around

Can't get any better than 30mpg, no matter how I try.
I suggest it is the "1 size up" from 256 x 65 x R17 to 265 x 70 x R17

Gra.

Bad News! My Golf is at the VAG dealers. The car has not stored a fault so they cannot fix it. So I'm left with a car that's only done 20,000 miles and may well not start. I can't sell it with my sort of conscience without disclosing the fault.

Frank

Well if it helps, I plugged herself Corolla into the computer of a friend of mines and it wouldn't power it up, never mind find a fault!!

the reason we can't get basic non electronic vehicles in this country is because of emissions regs. The new euro 6 standard means it'll be pretty much impossible to even run your vehicle outside Europe because of the fuel requirements.

The reason these basic vehicles are so expensive where you can get them is because of the build quality, quality costs I'm afraid and that's why cars like mercs and I would suggest the newer hilux like I have are not as well made as, for example, my HJ60 which appears to be made to lorry standards, overengineered to the point of obscene!!. As long as customers keep dumbing down to the lowest price rather than looking for the best quality that's going to be the way. Fleet buyers, the main market for vehicles like the Hilux, aren't interested if the vehicle lasts 25 years because they are on 5 year contracts, and they aren't interested on the better residual value of a better vehicle because at the end of the contract they just swap them out. why would a fleet buyer buy a Hilux that was beautifully engineered if it costs 5k more than an L200?

I am sure there would be a limited market for a good basic vehicle amongst expedition users etc who would be prepared to pay the price premium but unfortunately in Europe the regs make it impossible

the reason we can't get basic non electronic vehicles in this country is because of emissions regs. The new euro 6 standard means it'll be pretty much impossible to even run your vehicle outside Europe because of the fuel requirements.

The reason these basic vehicles are so expensive where you can get them is because of the build quality, quality costs I'm afraid and that's why cars like mercs and I would suggest the newer hilux like I have are not as well made as, for example, my HJ60 which appears to be made to lorry standards, overengineered to the point of obscene!!. As long as customers keep dumbing down to the lowest price rather than looking for the best quality that's going to be the way. Fleet buyers, the main market for vehicles like the Hilux, aren't interested if the vehicle lasts 25 years because they are on 5 year contracts, and they aren't interested on the better residual value of a better vehicle because at the end of the contract they just swap them out. why would a fleet buyer buy a Hilux that was beautifully engineered if it costs 5k more than an L200?

I am sure there would be a limited market for a good basic vehicle amongst expedition users etc who would be prepared to pay the price premium but unfortunately in Europe the regs make it impossible

Its a good point re the emissions laws - indeed its going to get increasingly more difficult to use older trucks around Europe as we go forward - restriction zones around major cities, increased toll charges, etc, etc - I'm starting to wonder whether having an overlander for use around Europe will even make sense a few years from now... :icon-rolleyes:

Back