Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which fridge freezer?

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
Ive been looking at a few options for a fridge, im after one that has 2 compartments so I can run a fridge and freezer at the same time. Up to now ive considered the iron man ice cube 65l fridge freezer which is a bare unit. Or ive recently just seen the snomaster 60l double compartment. This however comes with an insulated bag and a wireless remote (plus bottle opener attached to the fridge!!!) The snomaster is currently on offer at £825 which I think is about the limit id like to spend. Just wondering if any of you lot have a similar fridge or know of what is good or bad. Cheers guys

Ive been looking at a few options for a fridge, im after one that has 2 compartments so I can run a fridge and freezer at the same time. Up to now ive considered the iron man ice cube 65l fridge freezer which is a bare unit. Or ive recently just seen the snomaster 60l double compartment. This however comes with an insulated bag and a wireless remote (plus bottle opener attached to the fridge!!!) The snomaster is currently on offer at £825 which I think is about the limit id like to spend. Just wondering if any of you lot have a similar fridge or know of what is good or bad. Cheers guys
Until I got a 2nd hand one, the snowmaster was the one i was going for. No experience if it though.

I have three units so I do have some experience in this dept. I have two Waeco fridges that are utterly fab and you can run them as a freezer - but not at the same time so that doesn't really fit your needs.

I have the 50 L National Luna Weekender fridge freezer combo and .....

I hate it hate it hate it hate it. Did I mention I utterly hate it with so much passion that I could put an axe through it? No? Well I hate it.

So my choice would be the Snowmaster without a doubt. Heard nothing but good things about them. Tom has one and it seem excellent value for money. I wouldn't hate one of those. Like I hate the National Luna 50L Weekender.

The snomaster get some really good reviews.

I used on in moz a few years ago and it was amazing in the heat.

A lot of people I know prefer to have 2 smaller fridges then 1 combo. When I was looking for 1 I didn't like the ratios for the combo units so brought a 50l national luna and have a 35l indel for a freezer if I need the 2. I went away this weekend on my own and turned the fridge 35l on Tuesday last week used it over the weekend and it's still going today on a 120amp battery.

Well chuffed with that one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all for the inputs. Chris I'll be sure to get the national Luna, based on your recommendations:) I know what you're saying stumog about 2 smaller ones I suppose it's just cost issues-maybe an idea for the future. Looking/buying a snomaster might work out good too as tuff trek sell them and they are attending the overland show :think: tempting......certainly worth a good look at

Well, there's a few things.
1. It's the only fridge freezer that will fit in the space I have in the trailer and that makes me cross.
2. The literature lies. Well, it's unclear about the truth.
- the lid can be adjusted to open both ways. Not really. There are four edges - it can only open on 2
- the temperature of the fridge and freezer CANNOT be set independently but sort of suggests it can
3. The light inside is useless
4. the shape inside is stupid.
- Because it's deep, you need to use baskets. This means you can't stand bottles up inside
- Any bottles can only be as tall as the basket is long; which is shorter than a wine bottle
5. The freezer bleeds through the lid and you have to chip ice off all the time. Ahh, that's because you have the fridge set too low and that makes the freezer -10 C less. OK so if I set the fridge at chilled which is 4 C the freezer will be at -6? Yes. F*** off. It's not. I have experimented extensively and set the freezer to the point at which water actually freezes - which is different in the middle, bottom and edges of the compartment. This usually means setting the fridge at zero which is then too cold for chilled items.
6. The first one I had failed in Germany and it took me weeks to get it replaced even though it was less than a year old.
7. It doesn't have a drain and the ice melts into the fridge and makes everything wet.
8. I hate it.
9. The baskets are stupid money, but I've had to order another small one to stack in the fridge instead of the large top basket so I can stand bottles up - which loses me space.
10. I hate it

Good call Josh. National Lunatic all the way for me :angry-screaming:

Most of your c9ncerns with the national luna Chris is why I didn't go for the combines unit.

It's madness that the temperature can't be set for both the fridge and the freezer. The size of the freezer is a bit crap.

I Have the 50l nl in the car set as a fridge so I can have more beer and cold drinks. Then the 35l in the trailer set as the freezer. Best of both for.my needs.

Josh

Do you really need a freezer straight away?
Once I thought about this for a while I was sound on just getting a fridge to start with.

According to the videos and reviews the fridge freezer can be set individually with no issues? Be nice to know someone that's actually owned the snomaster fridge freezer. Well I've been using a fairly decent electric cool box for the last few years and it's been good I just wanted something that we could use to take frozen meats for a 2 week trip instead of having to buy them everyday. And I'd come to the conclusion that if I was spending 600/700 on a fridge I'd rather spend a tad more and get one that can do everything. I fear if I just get a fridge I'd always want a freezer and end up buying another unit!

Well, there's a few things.
1. It's the only fridge freezer that will fit in the space I have in the trailer and that makes me cross.
2. The literature lies. Well, it's unclear about the truth.
- the lid can be adjusted to open both ways. Not really. There are four edges - it can only open on 2
- the temperature of the fridge and freezer CANNOT be set independently but sort of suggests it can
3. The light inside is useless
4. the shape inside is stupid.
- Because it's deep, you need to use baskets. This means you can't stand bottles up inside
- Any bottles can only be as tall as the basket is long; which is shorter than a wine bottle
5. The freezer bleeds through the lid and you have to chip ice off all the time. Ahh, that's because you have the fridge set too low and that makes the freezer -10 C less. OK so if I set the fridge at chilled which is 4 C the freezer will be at -6? Yes. F*** off. It's not. I have experimented extensively and set the freezer to the point at which water actually freezes - which is different in the middle, bottom and edges of the compartment. This usually means setting the fridge at zero which is then too cold for chilled items.
6. The first one I had failed in Germany and it took me weeks to get it replaced even though it was less than a year old.
7. It doesn't have a drain and the ice melts into the fridge and makes everything wet.
8. I hate it.
9. The baskets are stupid money, but I've had to order another small one to stack in the fridge instead of the large top basket so I can stand bottles up - which loses me space.
10. I hate it

I feel somewhat responsible for your predicament Chris as I recall giving a very positive and what I thought was accurate opinion on this particular fridge/freezer. However, having owned mine for two years I'd now say I agree with you on every point. It isn't a bad unit but it is not what I thought it was, what I feel NL's literature led me to believe. I wouldn't say all NL's offerings are to be avoided, just that this particular model is NOT a good example for the reasons you state.

Oh Jeez, Lorin, please no. Don't give that a thought. I say again, it's the only unit that will fit - ok ok I could fit something smaller, but that's just stupid. Forget that. On paper (not theirs obviously) it's a great combo. In reality, it just doesn't perform. And you can spend an extra few hundred and get it in stainless. Imagine if I'd done that!! The Snowmaster absolutely can be set separately. But I simply cannot get it into the space by about 15mm. I have looked at pinching more space but I'm at the limit.

Is the NL Weekender a good fridge / freezer - well that's one question.
I can't really say it is because of the reasons I stated. It's not good for ME. But they have sold 80,000 of them according to the bloke I spoke to in the tech dept.
Does it suit me and my purpose? No. Might it suit you and yours? Absolutely.

In terms of freezer space though chaps, I've done a few trips now and honestly other than ice for my G&T, frozen peas which are an essential and perhaps a few other bits, I've not found the real need for more freezer space. This year we took the Nat Luna and the 40 L Waeco set as a freezer. Half the time we were just bunging bags of ice in there to fill it up. For Morocco, I set the 35L Waeco as a freezer. I just didn't need that much. It all depends on your needs. You venture out into the unknown with a fussy kid who only eats frozen turkey twizzlers then you might need a freezer. For me, other than ice, I could live without one very easily. So a very small freezer box would be sufficient. I'd like a 50L fridge with good dimensions and 10l of freezer. Not sure how big the Snowmaster ratios are. But I'd not want a 50 / 50 split. I might run one chamber as chilled and one as 'fresh' though

Sorry - should have said, I think it's call the 'Weekender' for a very good reason. That's all I think it's good for.

On paper (not theirs obviously) it's a great combo.

That comment had me chuckling Chris :lol::lol::lol::lol:

With regards to keeping fresh meats for longer, what about getting them vac packed for fridge storage?

I'd just fill the freezer with ice creams :icon-biggrin:

With the separate temp controls (you can tell I've been thinking about this) I set the freezer to -18 during the day whilst getting free power from the alternator, then when I park up, I set the temp to about -10 so that the compressor doesn't kick in on the battery at all during the night. Works really well. Otherwise you do pull quite a bit of juice trying to keep it frozen. Handy tip when on the ferry too.

My first fridge was a Waeco, which failed within a year of purchase during a trip to Western Sahara. I then replaced it with a National Luna 50L dual zone, I’m personally happy with the National Luna’s performance. As far as I’m aware it does as it says in the book, and cools the freezer compartment to 10c lower than the fridge. I then purchased a 60L National Luna dual zone with dual temp controls for my Troopy in Aus, again happy with its performance and very happy the way I can use either compartment as fridge or freezer.

Back