Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Landcruiser ???

skipscore

My head is spinning !!!! Basically my dilemma is this?? I have between £6-9k to spend on a diesel Landcruiser. I was more than happy going for 90 series say 2001 on but recent conversation with a friend persuaded me to consider the new shape. Surely extra cost does not mean newer is better ?? What does anyone think please as you all know better than I as far as knowledge of these great cars goes !
Many thanks

That's a Minefield, we all have our favourites and preferences, me I like my cars not to have sensors or ECU's, I don't like ABS and traction control because I want to control my vehicle, but what's important to you, what are you looking for in a car? is it going to be a daily driver or a family car, perhaps you are looking to use it for holidays and adventures off road in wild and exotic places?
If you can tell us what you want it for we can give you a lot more help and guidance:)

As above - it depends very much on what you want it for and what it has to cope with - daily driver, hard core off-roader, mum's taxi or overlander. If it's mum's taxi and you'll always be close to a garage that can sort electronics or you don't mind getting stuck and waiting in the remote chance something goes wrong, a 120 is good. A 90 has cooling issues but that can be overcome. The 100 is not in your price range and the 80 is a less-refined overlander base - simple in design, easier to bush-maintain and strong in build. So look around, look at pics, take your time, drive a few - come to Lincomb in October to see them all, and probably get a ride in all of them, and talk to current owners who use their vehicles.

Not sure where all the electronics are in a 120? Maybe in the namby pampy LC4 and 5? Looks very similar to a 90 underneath. Owned both as farm cars, hauling trailers, lots of off road. 120 is more refined on the road. Don't think there's anything between them off road - but I dont have any of the fancy traction stuff on the posher 120s. I'd think nothing of carrying a couple of scouring sheep in the back of the 90, I vacuum up after the dog in the 120 - maybe that's the difference :)

Thanks to you both for your replies. Vehicle will be used as everyday vehicle for family but want to off road it too and keep it for years to come !

Hi Julian. Thanks for your reply. As below it will be mainly family car with occasional towing of 1300kg caravan. However very keen to get into proper organised off roading and to get into social side of that too (!?).
I would prefer diesel and think auto may be better too ?
Many thanks
Craig

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 100 series is just in your price range. I'd take one of each out. Personally, I've had two 100 series which have lasted me the last 10 years - they deserve their reputation.

I've probably had about 20 cars alongside the cruisers, so it's not that I don't change my cars very often.

My head is spinning !!!! Basically my dilemma is this?? I have between £6-9k to spend on a diesel Landcruiser. I was more than happy going for 90 series say 2001 on but recent conversation with a friend persuaded me to consider the new shape. Surely extra cost does not mean newer is better ?? What does anyone think please as you all know better than I as far as knowledge of these great cars goes !
Many thanks
Hi Skipscore,

For £6k to £9k, a late LWB 90 series, with the D4-d engine, is in the right field.

You would need to add £2k to get your hands on a diesel D4-d 120 series.
You may find the uncared for one's though.

The 120 series, and the 90 series are really quite different in the "drive and feel"

If you can stretch another £2k, then go for the economical 120 series diesel.
The 100 series are nice, and the older (1997 'ish) are in your price range, but not really cheap to run.

Gra.

Back