Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why this tyre size on a 90

michael

Hi I`ve been looking around this section and have noticed that it is stated that the 90 has a standard size 265/70/16 ,we have only just got our colo and it has 235/85/16s on and I wondered if these were specific for some use ,ie better for road (tarmac) or offroad,or maybe around a farm as it looked like it had come off one or some stables :shock: as you can probably tell I dont know anything about tyres but am trying to learn.

Thats a more common Landrover size tyre - so often stocked at tyre dealers. The rolling radius is also slightly bigger than standard. I used to run them on one of mine, you should have no issues unless they are too knobbly or bald etc.

I believe that the 90 came with two tyre sizes. 265 and 235. The narrow spec was on the FX basic model. Often called the Farmer's version. Is it on steel wheels? Does it have plastic wheel arches or are they part of the steel wing?

Chris

hello chris, it has the plastic wheel arches and alloys but not the normal alloys I`ve seen on other 90s actually the spare is one of the "normal" alloys are they 3 spoke ? its dark now and I forget, the last owner must have bought a set of 4 different alloys there 5 spoke and the inner part is painted the same colour as the plastic arches ,I haven`t had any problems with the tyres but have noticed on the speed reader thingys popping up all around us that it reads 2 mph slower than the speedo shows.The tyres are runway enduro ATs I know not a very good tyre but there all like new I think I read one of your posts where you said " put on to sell or pass mot " or along those lines.
I`ll have to put a pic of ours on here if I can work it out.

Ahh, interesting. All get's tricky when someone has fiddled about and it's not standard anymore. I dunno what the Runaway ATs are like. Mine were the standard pattern and yes, they were shocking.

Chris

90wheels04.jpg

Are these like your alloys Mike? Standard Colorado rims from a '96 3.0 TD...

Attachments

• 90wheels04.jpg
    90wheels04.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 186
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats what the spare is like (I dont know where I got 3 spoke from)mine have a chrome flat fronts and the back is concaved and painted same colour as arches, I`ll definately get a picture tomorrow just to see if they`ll take a wider tyre.

Sounds like you have aftermarket wheels then. Be interesting to see what they are :cool:

michael said:
I dont know where I got 3 spoke from.....

The 3 spoke alloys may be from a facelift colorado - I think the 2000MY versions came with 3 spoke alloys, whereas the previous alloys were 5 spoke ones, as Gav's pic ( :cool: ) above.

You can see both versions here;

Newer 3 spoke;
image.php

Older 5 spoke;
image.php

Just to say, narrower tyres are generally better in mud (although when it comes to Runways you might as well fit balloons in place of the wheels from what I've heard). Manufacturer choice aside, this may be why the farmy type you bought the truck off had them fitted.

Jim.

Could someone help me with what the maximum size AT tyre I could get on mine without doing any suspension mods , :?

I think I have 275/75/16 BFG AT's on our '96 Colorado sitting on 80 series alloys. Its either 70 or 75 profile but I beleive that this is the standard size tyre that was fitted to the 80 series... I'll check tonight for you on the actual size...

They don't rub too much :whistle:

Gav Peter said:
I think I have 275/75/16 BFG AT's on our '96 Colorado sitting on 80 series alloys. Its either 70 or 75 profile but I beleive that this is the standard size tyre that was fitted to the 80 series... quote]
That'd be 275/70 then. No 275/75/16 available ;)
:mrgreen:

michael said:
Could someone help me with what the maximum size AT tyre I could get on mine without doing any suspension mods , :?
It is widely accepted that the largest tyre size you can fit to a standard Collie is a 265/75/16 :D

sae70 said:
Here's something prety sad I did for myself the other evening :oops:

265/70/16 30.61/10.43/16 standard fitment

265/75/16 31.65/10.43/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 26.42mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +13.21mm (+13.21mm)

305/70/16 32.81/12.00/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 55.88mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +27.94mm (+14.73mm)

285/75/16 32.83/11.22/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 56.39mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +28.19mm (+00.25mm)

255/85/16 33.07/10.04/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 62.48mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +31.24mm (+03.05mm)

This of course make no allowance for how these tyre sizes are effected by rim width & inflation pressure :D

sae70 said:
It is widely accepted that the largest tyre size you can fit to a standard Collie is a 265/75/16
There's now't wrong with a bit of rubbin' now & again :snooty:

But as I mentioned, I am not running the standard 90 wheels with the 275/70/16's on - I went for this size as when I bought the 80 alloys, there was a BFG AT on one of them that was servicable as a spare!!! :D

Back