Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will BFG KM2 rub...

Ducktape

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to put BFG KM2 on my '02 Colorado. As standard it came with 265/70/16 HT tyres, but since I've recently upgraded the suspension (OME - 2" lift) can I fit a larger profile KM2 without it rubbing inside the wheel arches? I'm thinking 265/75/16, but if they will rub then I'll rather stay with the 70-profile. I know I'll get a bit more ground clearance with the 75-profile and hence the reason why I'm considering these, but the Asfir plates will just have to work a bit harder on the 70-profiles... ;)

Current best price I could find on 265/75/16 BFG KM2's are £155ea (Cam.....) :shock: any one know of another/cheaper supplier?

Many thanks...

I'd be very surprised if they rubbed as my 255/85/16 KM2's don't with just a 40mm lift :D

If your spending the money, why not just spend another £100 or so and fit the 255/85/16's :?: :mrgreen:

edit - I never had any rubbing issues with my old 265/75/16 A/T tyres rubbing and they were fitted before the suspension lift :)

Photo of Fiery with 265/75/16's fitted before the suspension lift
P8080102-1.jpg

Photo of Fiery with 265/75/16's fitted after the suspension lift
PA220682.jpg

Photo of Fiery with 255/85/16 KM2's fitted after the suspension lift
PA240725.jpg

I'm with sae70, let's join forces and order 10 of the finest 255 85 r16 km2's and be a part of the "mile high" cruiser club!! LoL
My tyre man over here can't give me a due date for this size, he's hounding the Michelin rep for me but reckon he will better cam skills price so awaiting his phonecall!

In reality, 265 75 over 265 70 won't make any difference at all. You really aren't going to gain any noticeable ground clearance. In fact it equates to 1.3 cm in a perfect world. Fine if you have to buy new rubber, but at current prices it's a lot for not much.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator

Chris

So what you are really saying Chris is that for instance for our Africa trip it would be more sensible to look at which tyre size you are more likely to find somewhere in Africa if needed than the biggest size you can fit here in the UK..?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed - would be better off being able to replace just one than 2 or more because the size is unusual.

Cheers

Indeed, that's a very sensible way to look at it DT. I am sure that there have been threads on this already. There are those with considerable experience of travelling South of the Equator and what they have on offer. Punctures are one thing but shredding tyres is another. Worth noting equivalent tyre sizes in case you need something in a tight spot, you can put one on with the same rolling radius. Like a space saver in effect.

Chris

Okay, so the general feeling from various forums are that the 265/75/16 BFG KM2's will rub on full lock even with the OME. So if that is the case, then the only two options for KM's are the 255/85/16 or the 255/70/16...

As you can gather I'm no tyre ghuru, so excuse the questions if this bore you...
The pro's for the 85 is obviously the amount of extra ground clearance, but the con's are that power suffers a bit, the side walls are taller and can possibly suffer damage easier and also I don't even know if they will still be legal for normal everyday UK road use?

So any thing I need to consider in thinking that, if I want to fit KM2's I have to downsize (width) and fit the 255/70/16?

Thanks for your patience and opinions!

You wont notice any loss of power with 255's - cant comment on the sidewalls other than to say they are bfg, so best quality available.

Why would they not be legal in the UK?

The question you really need to ask yourself is do you want bigger tyres or standard size tyres, and that is very much personal taste.

I wont change from 255's, I love the height and look of the truck, my issue with 255's is that they are only available in a MT pattern, I would happilly run 2 sets, one road biased AT and one MT (which is what I have) for different conditions.

Cheers

Pete

Back