Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch mount on original bumper kzj70

lc27

Country Flag
uk
Hi gents
I am looking to fit a winch, in my kzj70' which is standard. The intention is to do so with the original factory bumper, so still keeping the appearance as I liked.

There is a thread in the foum which suggest is possible.(I can't place the link since I do not have 15 threads)

what I am unsure is about the mountin plate/ base and others and I wonder if you could help with the questions below.

questions:
1.-it is any standard mounting plate out there for sale(ready to fit)? Or is usually manufactured on the fly to (customised)?
2. How the fairlead is installed to avoid the bumper to bend?
3. Any experience on a brand on ebay called winchmax? (Same I can't place the link)
Cheers
M

I just used a piece of 10mm plate between the chassis and originally fitted the fair lead to the original bumper which is ok for rare self recovery but bends on sideways pulls and when you wind the winch lead in too much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 362
One thing to note is that most winches won't fit between the chassis rails. I have a Superwinch LP10000 which has the brake inside the drum rather than on the end, this makes it short enough to fit. Dave at Goodwinch uses the same winch as a base for his 10000lb Goldfish model - I was going to go for that but got an offer I couldn't turn down on this one...

I built my winch tray to fit and bolted the roller fairlead to that, then cut a whacking great big hole in my front bumper for it to poke through just a short distance so as the rope would always clear the bumper. Really pleased with how it's turned out, with just enough showing to make the right people look, but not so much that it's in-your-face:

P1000790_zpseb527ca8.jpg

did pretty much the same as Jimbo on my old 78

006-1.jpg

bought a winch plate from "winch-it on a popular auction site (ebay) ...

I had a winchmax winch to begin with .... and never got chance to use it. .. I had 3 duff motors (all replaced under the warrantee)

in the end I got fed up and my missus bought me a goodwinch 9.5tds goldfish ... had that for about 4 years now .. and has always worked when it's needed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys.
I like Rich's first pic, but confirmed the presumption about bending.
Rich I can see is a warn winch? Wich model?

I will go for Jimbo first pic ;-)

It's the warm XP 9.5 but if I didn't have this on t he shelf I'd get a goldfish but you must get he one with the brake in the drum because of length

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 329
Jimbo - I'm just prepping a 78 for a run to the Atlas mountains - just wondering if you used your winch in anger during the trip?

Or not... just seen you only have two posts and can't accept PM yet. You can email me if you want [email protected] but no, I didn't need to use my winch on the trip. It was very reassuring to know it was there, however.

Jim.

Back