Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winches

kingtom

Country Flag
uk
Looking at getting a new winch though cant decide what to get. Obviously there are the big makes which are twice the price of the lesser known brands. Is there much real difference for a general use winch? Ive found one called a 17000lb RHINO on ebay item number 261745560765 and it seems to out perform its superwinch equivalent on paper. Its half the price and it seems a fairly reasonable deal. Has anyone come across these?

I live in Canada. We have Warn as the big name go to winch. Don't know what size you are looking for, but a 17,000 lb is for unimog size truck! At least a 1 ton
or so. I have a Warn 9500 compressor winch on the front of my 60 series Land Cruiser. Out back I went with a Runva 11000 XP with wire rope. It was inexpensive, and
I did quite an extensive internet search of other users prior to purchase. The Warn was $1500 US, the Runva was $500 US. I found Runva was well respected in Indonesia,
Aus, and New Zealand.
To help out, go through company websites, research where they are built, indicator of how well. In the UK, if you have a smaller truck, go to Gigglepin4x4. They are competitors, have very high end Warn winches. I would think they would have a basic version as well.
I don't know anything of Rhino, so good luck. Personally, I'd not buy on ebay just cause it's cheap, but it looks like you have done some spec analysis. Good luck.

Just seen your reply cheers. Yes 17000 is overkill but on paper the rhino just looked good. I know gigglepin quite well and used to run one on my Landy challenge truck though these are competition winches made with speed in mind. Ive given up on the Rhino as cant find anything on them, was hoping they might be the new cheap make which outperform everyone, though this is probably not the case. I have goodwinch down the road and been chatting to them so will probably get one of them or a superwinch talon 12000lb

The new Superwinches look good. I have an 8 yr old 9000 which is very basic, but has done everything I've asked it to do. Still going strong, even though all the paint has peeled off!

I got a winchmax 13000lbs on the recommendation of the guy that rebuilt my truck. He has one on his landy and has used and abused it for years with no problems. It's not quick, which is probably where the cost savings come in, but thats not an issue for me. It's for getting me out of trouble when I need it, not winning challenge events. They have good parts availability, look well made and the chap that imports them is a thoroughly nice chap in Norfolk!

One big advantage for me was it's reasonably priced, but 24v (they do 12v and 24v versions)

Last edited:
Back