Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windscreen aperture ...

Bernese

Country Flag
england
Always a risk of rust but I was pleased to find no rust whatsoever on the aperture this morning whilst having the windscreen replaced. The surface cleaned back to paint no problem and I removed the scuttle panel to find a host of compact leaves, twigs etc all cleaned out which will help the drainage ...:thumbup:

I've done loads of glass replacements myself over the years but it was cheaper through my insurance company and the lads didn't get to twitchy when I offered advice and sorted the drainage etc lol... The only issue was my glass is bronze tint and only green was available with the top tint but it's not a deal breaker...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20171103_135533.jpg

Last edited:
'Clearly' an improvement. Bit by bit mate. It's getting there.

We'll have that handbrake sorted next weekend. Is that lever moving yet?

Did they use screen seal Bern? If not, watch out for leaks. I think Chris is one of the few that's managed to have a new screen fitted without sealant that hasn't leaked. If it does, just remove it and refit it yourself with butyl screen seal available on eBay.

Always a risk of rust but I was pleased to find no rust whatsoever on the aperture this morning whilst having the windscreen replaced. The surface cleaned back to paint no problem and I removed the scuttle panel to find a host of compact leaves, twigs etc all cleaned out which will help the drainage ...:thumbup:

I've done loads of glass replacements myself over the years but it was cheaper through my insurance company and the lads didn't get to twitchy when I offered advice and sorted the drainage etc lol... The only issue was my glass is bronze tint and only green was available with the top tint but it's not a deal breaker...

View attachment 136390

View attachment 136391

View attachment 136392

View attachment 136393

View attachment 136418

I think the new screen will match the rest now Des, its the colour all UK glass is,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did they use a new rubber seal ? mine needs changing because of chips but nervous of using some of the screen fitting company's....I've seen them scratch the paint badly when cutting screens out and then just bung a new screen in as the scratch is covered by the glass but will rust happily out of sight over the next few years .

Did they use a new rubber seal ? mine needs changing because of chips but nervous of using some of the screen fitting company's....I've seen them scratch the paint badly when cutting screens out and then just bung a new screen in as the scratch is covered by the glass but will rust happily out of sight over the next few years .

No, 're used the original seal as they were careful on removal. The screen on my 80 is not bonded to the aperture so no need to cut anyting it's simply pulled back into place using rope and plastic tooling...

The Toyota service manual for windscreen replacement tells you to use sealer .....although I agree the 80 series screen is the old fashioned rubber seal type , I think a lot of the 80 series windscreen aperture rust issue's are caused by the screen moving slightly in the rubber and rubbing the paint away so allowing rust to start , the chassis and body certainly flex when used off road .

Back