Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiper Arms upgrade

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
Any body done fron wiper arms upgrade on a 80, mine are really nasty looking and the wiper blades are screwed onto them - it's a real bodgery.

I don't know of an upgrade, but when I had a re-spray, the service had to remove the old ones and the castings simply disintegrated where they fit to the tapered drive-splines. Had little choice other than fitting new Mr T arms, and they came with blades.

Not cheap, as you'd imagine, over £100 IIRC, but at least they fit and work well. The blade has what is most common nowadays, a pin across it, and the arm is bent in a "U" shape around the pin, with a plastic "U" shaped seating.

I can't imagine how a blade has been "screwed" to an arm, it does sound like quite a bodge to me too :lol:

First thing i would do is see if the arms off the Mrs Hyundai coupe would fit just out of curiosity , she works nights so i would probably get away with it :lol: maybe the splines do differ between manufacturers but i can't see there being much in it ?

It's probably the "crank" in the arms that may give some bother, they are handed IIRC.

Mines LHD too, so it may not be much use posting photos, if they're different for that reason.

All the 80's I have had, when fitted with Optifit blades from the dealer have been excellent. But if there is slop in the turret, they don't work so well and of course the wipers must flex properly. Upgrade shouldn't really be needed. Just correction. Milner sell the entire wiper linkage complete. Easy to change and it's a genuine part. If you pull up the wiper and you can wobble it around then it's worth doing. I am doing mine this week.

I don't drive in the rain, well not in my 80. Might get mud on the axles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First thing i would do is see if the arms off the Mrs Hyundai coupe would fit just out of curiosity , she works nights so i would probably get away with it :lol:

No rain in your area at night then Shayne? :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Back