Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Resource icon

Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series. 2016-06-02

No permission to download

ctiley

Country Flag
australia
ctiley submitted a new resource:

Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series. - Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series with negative switching.

Because LED lights are polarity specific and Toyota's 60 and 80 series headlight circuits are negative switched which reverses polarity when dipping the headlights or going to high beam (which prevents LED's from working) - here is a wiring diagram to allow the circuit to remain polarity specific as LED's require. It does work on my 80, so all the best - the LED inserts are about 1000% better than the candles Toyota gave me. :)

Read more about this resource...

Here's a photo of the headlights as wired with the wiring diagram.

20160528_105132.jpg

There is a wiring diagram in the rest of my page - it is in red on my PC and says "Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series". It links to a .gif file which is apparently only visible to members of the forum. It is also in my photo's on my profile page. It needs to be done exactly as the diagram shows and does work well. Don't forget that LEDs are polarity specific - that is the reason you need to go to this length yo get them to work in the Toyotas as their system reverses the polarity when you dip your lights.

ctiley submitted a new resource:

Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series. - Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series with negative switching.

Read more about this resource...
There is a wiring diagram in the rest of my page - it is in red on my PC and says "Wiring diagram to install LED headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series". It links to a .gif file which is apparently only visible to members of the forum. It is also in my photo's on my profile page. It needs to be done exactly as the diagram shows and does work well. Don't forget that LEDs are polarity specific - that is the reason you need to go to this length yo get them to work in the Toyotas as their system reverses the polarity when you dip your lights.

Hi have tried looking for your wiring diagram & can not find it. Could you please email it direct to me [email protected]?

Your assistance is very much appreciated, kind regards Peter

I can't download it neither.
No permission.
I checked and noticed I can't download any manual or file from the service manual section.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I put led.s in mine last week and just worked normally. Plug and play. Should I be checking something?

I put led.s in mine last week and just worked normally. Plug and play. Should I be checking something?

Me too. Not sure what this "polarity reversal on main beam" is all about.

i also put led's in before the France trip. brilliant upgrade from Steve at Woodpecker.. £59..

I cant see the wiring diagram either. Can you email it to me also? Please & Thank You

I cant see the wiring diagram either. Can you email it to me also? Please & Thank You
Zach, as you are now a member, when you log in you should be able to see and download the photo. I cannot e'mail it to you because I only get communication from Landcruiser Club and they don't give me your e'mail address. Some of the newer lights on the market have polarity sensing electronics built in and you don't need to go to such lengths - i.e. they are plug and play, I don't know which brands are like that and also I'm in Australia so brands from here may not be available in the US and vice-versa.

Wiring diagram to install headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series.gif

The UK models and some to other markets had different wiring to the Australian models (something to do with Australian Design rules which allow some things and disallow others to suit local conditions), so it could relate to that. What happens on the Aussie model is when you go from low beam to high beam, for some reason they reversed the polarity - there is not a common earth, which LEDs don't like. Some of the newer lights now available have polarity sensing electronics which may explain why some are plug and play.

Hi my cruiser is just the single round headlight model I can modify this to work with just removing the inner high beam relay ?? thanks

Hi my cruiser is just the single round headlight model I can modify this to work with just removing the inner high beam relay ?? thanks
Probably, I cannot see why not, but I wouldn't offer any guarantees. I personnally have never tried to fit just the single unit. You just need to ensure that (if your car has the troublesome negative switching system) that the positive and negative are reversed on the action of dipping of the headlights, so the new light receives its power from the same direction. Have you tried just plugging the light in as it is currently wired - it may work.

Hi thanks for that yes I did try plugging it straight in and unfortunately it didnt work so I swapped wires around and I got it so low beam was high beam and vise versa :p

Hi. Where do i buy these headlamps for my HJ61?
The best place to find them now is eBay. I don't know if your country has left hand drive or right hand drive (the right way!!!) but you may need to take that into account when ordering as it can make a difference to some lights when dipping to low beam. Make sure you order the right physical size as there are a few different lights that are similar but not the same size. These lights were popular in quite a few American vehicles in the late 70's and the 80's and some American trucks like the Western Star, Kenworth and some Peterbilts. Also Isuzu used them in some of their trucks, so they are readily available.

Back