Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wirring whooshing sound !

ted heath

Hello Im new to this so be gentle !
I have a 1999 Amazon VX shod with BFG All Terrains only part worn and for some time have been aware of this whirring whooshing sound that becomes audible at around 50 mph. I thought front wheel bearings so changed those no change other than shorter break pedal. The ex toyota guy reccons it tyre noise Im not convinced. We are going to France on Friday so could do without any dramas en route. Further investigation on your excellent site sugests it could be related to UJs on the either of the props. Can you advise firstly this is the likeley cause and secondly if a failure occurs will we be dissabled.
Looking forward to your thoughts and thank you

Ted

Hi and welcome
It 'Could' be tyre noise, but I would have thought it more noticeable when the tyres were new and a bit more chunky? If you have done the bearings, cant be them, is everything that should be greased greased underneath?
Bring your waterproofs, hell wet suit, if you come to France! Its 'orrible!!!!!!

Thanks Steve
its pretty crap here to, all is thouroghly greased and on prety close inspection there is very little slack in the prop ujs I should add its only done 160 k miles so I dont aticipate to many majors.
As far as the weather goes "even if its raining in the valley its always snowing on the mountain!" lets hope !
Thanks again
Ted

Guessing spindle bearings. That's a whirring woshing sound - when the drive shaft starts wearing the brass bushing instead of the needle roller bearing.
Easy to check - just take the c-clip off and push the drive shaft in a bit, and look at the back of the hub. The shaft should look clean and greased, with clear traces of the bearing rollers in the grease. If good, give it a bit more grease before pushing it back in (or towards the outside, rather).
If not good, there is a chance the shaft is worn and in need of replacement. Take off one ball joint (upper or lower) and pull out the shaft.

Thanks uHu
is it the kind of thing that needs imidiate attaention or is possible that it will ok for a couple K miles as we are of skiing on friday and dont reccon on getting the work done in time, I have been aware of the noise for probably 20k miles but now Im more aware of it seems to be there all the time.
Thanks again
Best

Ted

At least check to see that it isn't the spindle bearings, as it is a very quick job to do - 5 mins after jacking up and removing road wheel, per side. If a spindle bearing is dry, you will have overheating of the spindle and the wheel bearing, which is bad if you drive at highway speeds. (Ask me how i know :))
To change the spindle bearing is no big job either, but getting hold of the bearing can take time, if not in stock locally. (I had to wait for two weeks)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have replaced the wheel bearings is this not the same thing ?
Thanks again for your help

I have replaced the wheel bearings is this not the same thing ?
Thanks again for your help
Not the same.
The Wheel bearing is outside the spindle, between the spindle and the surrounding hub.
The Spindle bearing is inside the spindle, supporting the drive shaft where it exits the hub, close to the outer CV joint. Very easy to check, but also easily overlooked, even at dealer's service.
See p# 90364-33011 here:
Spindle.jpg

Back