Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

with low range does not go beyond the third (automatic)

giankapp

Country Flag
italy
Hi at all, I 'm new to the forum and I'm a new owner of a J120 with a fault that I show: inserting the low range even when the transmission is set to D does not exceed the 3 , I state that the shift lever does not lock on position 3. Does anyone know how to fix it ?

thanks in advance
Giancarlo

Probably normal, as why would you need a higher gear in low range, just go back to high range

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi at all, I 'm new to the forum and I'm a new owner of a J120 with a fault that I show: inserting the low range even when the transmission is set to D does not exceed the 3 , I state that the shift lever does not lock on position 3. Does anyone know how to fix it ?

thanks in advance
Giancarlo

Do you mean that the lever does not stay where you put it?

If that is the case, then there is a small spring and locating pin, jumped out, in the selector gate.

Easy to fix

Cost about 5.00
Takes about 1 hour.

Mine happened the same.

If it the same fault

Yeah in low range it won't go into overdrive. as overdrive clutches are not designed for that kind or torque.

Confused me , i like speed even when off road my 90 series has a manual gearbox but i have never gone beyond third gear in low range , if i can go that fast i don't need lockers or low .

Yes I found in the web how to fix the problem of locking the lever.
I don't think is unuseful don't use the gears 4 and 5 in offroad. In off usually with manual gearbox you set low range the first time and use all the speed range you have, specially in long trails when it becames easy. Than my automatic gearbox is normal ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi giankapp,
I used mine (2006 120 auto) this morning in low ratio and although a little slow it ran through the full range 1 to 5 and back again. I always use the low ratio box and diff locks once a month wether I need to or not just to keep it all moving. The system might free itself up with a little regular use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back