Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would bio be any good in a d4d 2001

v8jeep

There was a fuel station near me that sold bio a year or 2 since so im thinking it might still sell it. Would it be a bad idea using it in my colorado d4d ?? I know newer engines need clean fuel but not sure if mine would be classed as a newer engine. Any views would be greatfull :whistle:

Biodiesel should be OK from a reputable supplier but many people don't recommend it in a D4D. Below 7% bio is the norm in most fuel nowdays anyway.

Running veg oil (SVO or WVO) is a definate NO!

The problem with Bio is variable quality and the fact that for commercial producers it's hard to make any cash after duties etc. which means that there is alway the temptation not to test at every stage and cut corners.

I've been using bio for 3 years now and experienced a problem with my LC 100 '01 because my final polish was not up to scratch and soap content in the finished product was too high. Injection pump had it's internal finger filter blocked.

After that I changed my process and remove soaps, glycerins etc. to very low ppms and test at every stage. I dry and filter at 5 micron, then final polish using a centrifuge to down to around 0.3 micron and finally dispense through final polish pots that remove moisture to <50ppm.

Some commercial manufacturers make great fuel, but if you're doing it to save money, I'd image the few quid saved doesn't equate to the risk. On the other hand since the problem mentioned above, I have done around 20k miles in my LC and 11K miles in my common rail Alfa 2.4 JTD. I'm allowed 2500 litres per year at a cost of about 22 - 25p per litre.

Back