Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would it be wrong to buy an 80

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Hi guys
I am seriously considering buying an 80. I just love them. But I would be looking for a good one ish. I am prepared to put the work in to make it good but would I be doing it a dis-service to use it as my daily runner whilst my 90 is used for the wife in winter and my off road/green lane adventures.

The general opinion of 80 over 90 has me thinking that I have my priorities the wrong way round. but I do prefer a shortie off the beateb track.

Any thoughts guys.

An 80 as a DD :think: Mmmmm..you'll need deep pockets :) I've just this weekend bought a Manual VW Passat 130 TDi Highline to replace our T5 Geartronic Volvo V70 with due to the costs of running the Volvo and have worked out that we will be making a conservative saving of £80 per month in terms of Road Tax, Insurance and fuel costs :shock: Roll on Wednesday when I pick up the Passat :D :thumbup: I know where there's a very well used T5 Volvo V70 for sale if you fancy an introduction to spending vast sums of wonger on fuel :D :D ;)

Depends what your DD requirements are for the 80. Negotiating rush hour traffic into central London and drag-racing between lights isn't going to be rewarding in an 80. But if it's country lanes and not too much stop-start stuff, then you'll love it :thumbup:

Be careful letting your wife drive the 80 :twisted: I thought my wife would hate it - she wants to do the school run in it every chance she gets!

I did use mine for a while like that with no worries.

The only issues were when doing the work it will need it becomes difficult sometimes to get the jobs done to a deadline knowing you need it for monday morning as they can be a little tempramental at times. Also, when you have a play off road its always in your mind that you have to take it a bit easy as it will be needed for work.

As you say, maybe things are the other way round. I would use the 80 for the dirty stuff and the 90 for the school run.

Andrew Prince said:
Be careful letting your wife drive the 80 :twisted: I thought my wife would hate it - she wants to do the school run in it every chance she gets!
I'll second that, I had to buy a 2nd one to get mine back when I had an 80.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've nearly bought an 80 a few times!.. just because i love them, they're iconic!

Key question is WHY do you want one???

My 90 is my (Claire's while i am at sea) daily driver, greenlaner, offroader, overlander, tip runner, people transporter...... and it laughs at all these tasks!

Thats the point of a Landcruiser (all series) they go anywhere and do anything.

The best reason to by an 80.... because you want one ;)

Do you want one just because you like them.... cuz if I had to choose I would stick with my colorado being that it is more confortable than a 80 series from what I have heard. The colorado has a strong engine and pulls anything. The only reason why I would think you would want a 80 series is because they make a better off road vehicle and maybe overland vehicle, or just because they are bigger. If I was to buy another cruiser it might be the 100 series due to nice power and very nice to drive.

Chris Green90

might be worth having a drive in a few 80's on and off tarmac (decided am not saying off road now since its not accurate!) to see how they feel to you?

I love my 90 both on and off tarmac. For the type of off tarmac driving I do it is pretty much perfect. I like the short wheel base of accesibility. Its spot on.

I am looking for something bigger for my DD. I am a plumber/Alarm engineer/Mobile DJ so need the space. I really should get a van but I really dont want one, plus there have been a couple of campsites we were turned away from when we got there as we were driving a commercial vehicle. (Back when we had a van) After having driven 4X4's for the last 5 years I would rather not go back to something like a mondeo estate or any car really. Next door who I do the DJ thing with has a LWB shogun which is spot on but I am going for something like that then what exactly is wrong with a LWB Collie. I quite like the 100 but just think as has been said the 80 is iconic.

Chris LWB Collie matey, best of both worlds and you know your way round one now ;)

Back