Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would you buy this

warrenpfo

Money aside, what would your concerns be purchasing the below car:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0911405399

It is an 04 100 series with 99000 miles BUT is a jap import.

The pros for me are 5 spd auto box, no satnav controlled aircon to worry about.

My only concern is that it is an import and I am not sure if they come with their own issues or if it's just a stigma attached to imported cars.

It's not far from me so keen to go and take a look.

Warren, what stigma.... the days of dealers refusing to touch imports has long gone. I have a Jap import and taking it to a main dealer, ordering spares, or getting work done is never an issue.

Even Milner has a section for Jap imports for spares.

The Japanese cars do have slightly different specs, some good additions and some not. The only things I don't like are those "stuck on mirrors on front wings and sometimes on the tails gate to aid reversing.

Though you were taking the truck to SA anyway, no? are Jap imports an issue there? Aussie cars aren't nor are UK cars.

Go for it!

Check the cost of insurance compared with a similar UK spec car. I would be interested to see if there is much difference. Doesn't look a dear car if its in good condition.

Andy :thumbup:

Spoke to the chap, he has a viewing at 10:30 and if it's still about I'm going to pop round.

He knows nothing about the car as they only took delivery last night and his partner bought it.

Will post on SA website re jap import and see what they say.

Looks good,

Nothing to worry about with it being an import.

Buy on condition, as they probably won't be able to prove any miles covered.

Gra.

warrenpfo said:
Spoke to the chap, he has a viewing at 10:30 and if it's still about I'm going to pop round.

He knows nothing about the car as they only took delivery last night and his partner bought it.

Will post on SA website re jap import and see what they say.

It's sort of on my way home if you wanted me to have a quick look ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mines an import, it has leather AHC and only centre diff lock, I pay £328 per year insurance and have had no problems with getting spares.

[/quote]It's sort of on my way home if you wanted me to have a quick look ?[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Crispin, I'm off all week so have the time to pop in and take a look. It's by appointment only, I hate it when they do this.

If you still keen and once I have had a look am still interested I would value a second opinion.

Will keep you posted.

As you're taking it to SA, it might be worth confirming you can get a European Certificate of Conformity with no issues. Can't imagine it will be a problem but worth checking first

ignat said:
As you're taking it to SA, it might be worth confirming you can get a European Certificate of Conformity with no issues. Can't imagine it will be a problem but worth checking first

From what i know the car wont have a v5 or plates/regestration documents with out a COC so would assume t has one if it has UK plates and a v5 but i may be very wrong.

andyw said:
Mines an import, it has leather AHC and only centre diff lock, I pay £328 per year insurance and have had no problems with getting spares.

You might have a spot of bother with your leather AHC since the steel hydraulic ones can fail :whistle: sorry I'll get me coat :!:

Warren, doubt you'll have issues with CoC etc - I chatted to the folks at ITAC and SARS a few months ago and they seemed pretty unfazed by the issue and it sounds like they're prepared to be helpful.
Truck looks nice :thumbup:

For what it's worth: here in East Africa, all cars are imports. Since the driving side on the road is left (RHD cars), vehicles are sourced in Japan, in the UK, or any RHD country.

Well... People try to stay clear from UK imports, and overwhelmingly prefer Japan imports. The reason is that there are much less issues with rust on Japan cars, and vehicles are generally in better shape than similar mileage UK cars.

Andrew Prince said:
Warren, doubt you'll have issues with CoC etc - I chatted to the folks at ITAC and SARS a few months ago and they seemed pretty unfazed by the issue and it sounds like they're prepared to be helpful.
Truck looks nice :thumbup:
If I remember rightly, the CoC from Toyota cost £75.00

Gra.

Just to update I'm off to view this tomorrow at 10. Will let you know what I find.

Does anyone know if the jap imports come with a long range tank as I can't see any other reason for them to relocate the spare unless it was done by the owner.

Most Jap LCs have the spare wheel on the back. Its a cosmetic thing rather then functional. The Japanese love accessories, thats why they all come with roof racks, extra mirrors, wind deflectors, bulbars etc...

Update.

Nice truck but not for me.

The good points

4spd box is very nice
No satnav controlled ac is very nice
It had been dinitroled
Speedo was in kph
Indicator and rain wiper storks are opposite to a uk spec which I like.
Centre consol had a fridge

The bad points

po was a smoker and had dogs and having been through that once its not happening again
Yes is has been dinitroled but coming from Ireland I think it was done to hide things but it looked very nice underneath
No rear diff lock
Both stealing wheel motors not working
Seats where very tired inside

I am now looking at an 04 uk spec next sat with only 57k on the clock

Good to know when to walk,,,,,,,,,,,

Gra.

Back