Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

You're driving home for Christmas......

Holy $#!@ ... I want to know the numbers on that guy's lottery ticket!

10 to 1 odds he wasn't wearing a seat belt , i've survived a few times for no other reason and i know plenty of others that can say the same .

10 to 1 odds he wasn't wearing a seat belt , i've survived a few times for no other reason and i know plenty of others that can say the same .

Oh aye, and I suppose voodoo keeps you safe in your day to day duties?

It's true mrdelmonti and any honest traffic cop will tell you the same . I don't mean to suggest that we would be better off without seat belts the benefits of wearing one has been proven millions of times . What i mean is when the crash is of such devastatingly obvious consequence that it prompts someone to say "when it's not your time .... it's not your time" the driver usually survived by some twist of luck that would not have been possible had he been strapped in . For example i hit a tree airborne at 120mph when i was a kid , the gearstick crushed the centre of the back seat , all the wheels and both front doors came off , but because we weren't wearing seat belts my best mate Chady and me were able to walk a mile home . Hospital later diagnosed we both had fractured our skulls and Chady had fractured his neck , we both lost a dangerous amount of blood and required hundreds of stitches but we both survived and shouldn't have .

R.I.P Chady , he died a year later on a motorbike travelling at about 30mph .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree with Shane, given the choice between wearing or not wearing a seat belt, I would not use it, I prefer not to use it and off road I don't wear a seat belt, I know more people who survived because they were not wearing the belt than survived because they were wearing it, I know of people who were killed after the accident because they could not get out of the wreckage due to being trapped by the seat belt.

I'm not arguing that not wearing a seatbelt might save you but it's a very small percentage of scenarios in which it would help. A seatbelt will save you in the most common types of car crash.

I also don't have a problem with people that choose not to wear a belt, at the end of the day that's their choice to make after weighing up the risks, I also don't wear a belt when offroading.

If you need more proof that belts do more good than harm then ask any traffic cop, I'm sure you'll get a very confident response.

When I went to Morocco we were driving over some dunes fanned out in line abreast, we went up this dune at about 20/25mph and over the top but what couldn't be seen was that where I had gone over the wind had carved out the sand below and me and the truck did a nose dive about 10ft onto hard sand, my head smashed into the windscreen. If you look carefully you may see bits of skin attached to the glass. :lol:
I had a very sore head and neck for a few days.
dazed-7.gif

Inside 2.JPG

I tell you I wish I had been wearing my seatbelt that day. It always gets worn now especially off-road. :thumbup:
Oh! and a note for Chris who I think said he hadn't heard of a rear carrier breaking, the impact broke the spindle on mine.

Clearly the guy was on a lucky in bad luck roll!

The car looks like a Dacia Logan (Romanian Renault) but it could be a different Renault. Actually it could be a lot of things, I'm mostly guessing.

As for seat belts, thankfully I've never been in a crash that's made me think I wish I wasn't wearing one and I've been in several when I've been glad I have.

Good thing he wasn't in a Landcruiser :icon-biggrin:

As you cannot decide what sort of accident you are going to have it's defo best to wear a seatbelt. Not wearing one mimics the logic that it is safe to smoke because you know loads of people who have smoked all their lives and have not contracted lung cancer.

Frank

Clive

It could well have been made in Romania. If you look at the pics carefully the horse pulling those wheels has run off.

Frank

Either way if i had a crash id rather be in my landcruiser than that bacofoil car whatever make it is.

I had one of those for a while, only 1hp so it was pretty frugal but the emissions were a nightmare

Clive I must hand it to you finding that picture :icon-biggrin:. "Tail bag", that's a particulate filter isn't it. I think they block up pretty quick.

Frank

That car was an Audi.

I wonder though, the impact would not have been that bad. If he hit a pole then it would have sliced the car in half with "little" effort. Had he slid, side-on or forwards into a wall, he would have been dead but with car just gave way.

Two others I recall: (This is the same car in the pic - front and rear)
300adxv.jpg

and

screen-capture-448.jpg

Allegedly both drivers walked away (and are in the photos)

I've had a friend die in a seemingly silly accident and others walk away from carnage. Like has been said, if there is still something important to do, it's not your time :D

Back