Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series 4.2TD GX manual from the southwest UK

Wow! Amazing.

Hey no probs! Anything that can help someone in the future is a good thing.

Ye the intake link pipe over the top only requires loosening/removing the egr pipework and then unbolting a few brackets and the rubber boost hose etc. Half an hr job really but then the whole intake manifold is a bit more time consuming, have to remove the injector pipes, aux coolant heater etc but the more bits you remove the easier it becomes.

Had a good go at cleaning the manifold and the intake flaps today (will get some pics), just need to clean the intake ports in the head and it's probably ready to put back together and try again.

Dan this is excellent! Just what I want to do! but mines only done 90k with the egr still working then Iv disabled it via vacuum.. so isnt that bad, I will be getting rid of the EGR completely when I strip it all and clean it.

More pictures the better! great to see how you've done the valves & flaps etc.

Looking forward to seeing your truck get back to tip top running condition!

Chief

Dan this is excellent! Just what I want to do! but mines only done 90k with the egr still working then Iv disabled it via vacuum.. so isnt that bad, I will be getting rid of the EGR completely when I strip it all and clean it.

More pictures the better! great to see how you've done the valves & flaps etc.

Looking forward to seeing your truck get back to tip top running condition!

Chief

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing the improvement! Ye I want to do the same, I am hoping to loop the coolant pipes for the egr cooler and completely blank off the egr exhaust/inlet pipe at both ends and remove the pipework, would be nice to also completely remove the valve itself but that isn't something I am worried about at the moment.

Here is what the flaps look like off the car:

31498725707_357716e78d_b.jpg
100 series intake carbon build up by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

31498725777_c2559541e1_b.jpg

And here are the intake ports in the head:

44621559810_66bb7f65d4_b.jpg

31498732277_b382aa59cb_b.jpg

So got my little friend Henry and started scraping out the ports to the head and using the hoover to suck out the carbon:

45715032994_f2f5dfeab8_b.jpg

46438188561_ba7c05a3b9_b.jpg

Intake manifold cleaned up pretty good:

31498729637_4fa08a7da9_b.jpg

31498725417_bfc3ae0398_b.jpg

Hoping to finish cleaning out the ports in the head at the end of the week when i'm back at work, it's the most time consuming and awkward part, especially the rear ports as they are hard to get anything large in to scrape out.

Bit of an update, all cleaned up as best as I could and started re-fitting everything, here is how the ports looked before I put it back together:

46492293982_19c9ae42dd_b.jpg
Cleaned out amazon 100 series intake by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

45820433124_08f3398744_b.jpg

46544207001_443feabf72_b.jpg

Then the flaps:

46492297602_af26dc7758_b.jpg

44726742280_95229f9c8c_b.jpg

Intake back on:

46492295712_01aa475534_b.jpg

Then I decided whilst I could easily get the egr pipework off i would make the blanking plate, just used the gasket as a template, 10 mins of drilling and grinding later and it fitted spot on. Put it under the pipework on the exhaust side, then if I want I can use it for my EGT gauge in the future.

32671026588_e948437bbe_b.jpg

45820425114_35ccf7d23d_b.jpg

32671026888_40b2146541_b.jpg

31603946357_804c15ae8d_b.jpg

Nice work Dan.. I hope it sorts it... Good luck

Nice work Dan.. I hope it sorts it... Good luck

Sorry completely forgot to update, ye got it all back together a couple weeks ago and truck drives loads better! No stuttering or smoke on light throttle, big difference! I would advise any 100 series owner who has racked up the miles to at-least check the inlet manifold for build up if they have any of the same symptons!

Used it for general driving about, pulled a friend out who got stuck on a 4x4 day and also used it to go pick up another toy, bought a green lane bike to use over the winter ha ha :icon-cool:

Will probably have a few more updates with general maintenance over the next few months but otherwise will be my daily drive for the moment.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got around to doing a few jobs today, first of all was replacing the rear driveshaft U/J joint. I done a lot of these on PTO shafts etc in my early days working on tractors so decided to make a quick video of my method. Unfortunately the sound recorded very quietly but you get the idea, pics and video:

40296694123_d3392946a7_b.jpg
Landcruiser U/J by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

46346811385_811e8c0d88_b.jpg

33385610548_a48c20369c_b.jpg

First time I have done a how to style video! Needed a tripod or similar really but hey I will try harder next time..... Then I aligned the truck using the 4 wheel alignment at my work :thumbup: Also washed it the day before so looking clean again.

32319536787_59572bba0f_b.jpg

33385608108_1d515e8bec_b.jpg

No updates on the truck but been spending a good bit of time on my drift car. Body kit repairs etc etc, thought I would chuck up a quick video of me skidding about in a friends yard, ignore the look of the car as the bumpers etc were off being painted.

Feel free to like and subscribe.

More truck updates as and when I get to it :)

Been a while so time for a quick update, did put up a post about changing to steel wheels but decided to keep with what I got for the minute. Might change to bigger tyres at some point but for now will be leaving how it is.

Plan over the next 6 months is to tackle the small-ish amount of rust i've found, it's not too bad but there's a bit around the drivers rear inner and outer arch and want to get it early on as possible, hopefully make a nice new stainless exhaust system then maybe do something with the sidesteps as I found a few of the threads spinning around in the alloy when removing to do the first bit of welding. If I still got time maybe get a bit of the bodywork painted up too..... One step at a time I think!

On to cutting out the rust,

47691715812_510f1641d9_b.jpg
Clutch and landcruiser welding by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Inner sill looks pretty solid so that's nice to see!

46827836045_203db3bfbe_b.jpg

46827840075_0c2672bb7f_b.jpg

Found a bit of filler over the outer sill but managed to get back to good metal, weld it up and underseal it:

40777882223_568948f5ac_b.jpg

47744555181_6078aa60b0_b.jpg

You can see the sidestep captive nuts that have pulled out, got the step back on with a few but will do something about that later on. On top of this I've been to a couple drift days, here's a video of a practice run from my last competition round where I managed to get to the top 16 :thumbup:

Been a while since i've updated, few little things i've had to do over the past few months, found Lionel (this is the name given to the Landcruiser from my other half) was becoming slow to start, would turn over for a while before it fired when left for a few hrs or over night, this came on out the blue to be honest. Ended up being the fuel filter housing was knackered, you can see how damp it is compared to the second hand one I fitted. I'm pretty sure the diaphragm inside had perished or split drawing in air and that's why it's so damp around it.

Old one:

48601683966_740d5e5b08_b.jpg
Cruiser fixing by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

One I replaced it with, sorry for the extra sunny pic!

48601816677_afdf5601bc_b.jpg

Since then has started on the button every day so super happy about that :D

Used the truck to tow my car to another 5/6 drift days that were 500/600 mile round trips plus the daily commute to work and back:

40904618553_35498efef8_b.jpg
Driftcup round 2 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

48303057266_e311c5da9b_b.jpg
driftcup round 3 Teeside 14-07-19 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Then used it to go collect a truck for a friend, had to take a photo, love it when you have to save a Landy with a Toyota :laughing-rolling:

48601817702_628c6ff882_b.jpg

I possibly slightly over loaded the trailer :eusa-shhh: but Lionel amazes me how well it pulls even something heavy like a 2.7ton Range rover and trailer. Especially as my trucks done over 230k!

Hopefully having my drivers door painted over the next couple weeks as it has a few small dents that always bug me as I see them in the drivers mirror whenever I drive it.

Good work Dan... And yes im sure your all up Weight fetching the RR isnt strictly within the Law.:lol:...CrackOn!

Cheers, ye wouldn't have enjoyed towing it across the country but sometimes these things have to be done! Next job I finally got around to was looking at the drivers speaker working intermittently.

Door card off, quick wiggle and chase of the wires back through the door and I found the culprit:

48601816827_0a06e735e0_b.jpg

48601683446_fd80f9b0ac_b.jpg

Also the guy painting my door needed to pop the handle out to prep it so good timing with the door card off. Will be removing the snorkel etc as well ready for the paintwork as he will need to blend the wing etc.

Snorkel removed (bit of grime to clean off in behind lol) door prep work started:

48614498662_2f098b781f_b.jpg
IMG_20190823_135623 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Checked the handbrake today as was slowly getting a bit higher to pull, had to free off one side pivot mechanism and now it's working a gem again. Started measuring up for the new exhaust whilst on the ramp too but still don't think I will get around to making it for a couple months, probably get the other bit of welding done on the rear body first. I am excited to have my drivers door all shiny soon though :thumbup:

Completely forgot to update this, been slightly side tracked with motorbikes and the truck was parked up for a little while with the whole covid situation for the past few months! The door got painted way before that though and still looks good, took off and sold my old roof rack to a nice guy in Scotland!

Couple of my recent youtube video's for anyone into bikes, 929 fireblades more specifically!

Will get some shots of the cruiser without the roof bars on too. Soon be time for a service and still got a smidge of welding on the rear pockets to do otherwise daily duties as normal for Lionel!

Last edited:
Good thread Dan, just got rid of my 80 series and bought a silver GX, also live in Newton Abbot.

View attachment 167010
Hi,

It's a small world eh! Ours look very similar :thumbup: you don't happen to park parallel to the new ring road do you? Often see a pair of 80's, one black and one beige parked up there. If you want to have a chat/100 series natter over a cuppa that would be cool some time. Send me a pm if ya like.

My next 2 Youtube videos have been up for a week too!

Cheers Dan

No mate I live in Highweek Village, may need to pick your brains, got a few things to sort on it, lucky enough to have a ramp and decent workshop at home

Sounds like a dream set up James! I pretty much pass Highweek every day, my commute is from Newton to Bovey so more than happy to come by on my way back through of an evening. Let me know what you need a hand with will try my best to help if I can. :thumbup:

Small update, first picture I've put up without the roof bars and the door sprayed :thumbup:

First bike track day by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Used it at the weekend to tow me and my mates bikes to wales for our first bike track day! What a crazy day, absolutely amazing. If anyone is reading this and owns a motorbike get yourself to a track day, its sooo much fun! Try not to do what I did and drop it though :laughing-rolling: lucky its a dedicated track bike! Here's my in depth video showing the day, lots of talking plus my small lowside and then another session later in the day showing me with a bit more confidence!

Back