Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1991 LJ 78 engine options?

natas

Country Flag
bahamas
Just bought a 91 LJ78 diesel/automatic.
I have a feeling that the engine is done, so am wondering what are my options?

Do I have to replace with the same engine? as I have heard that the 2L TE can be problematic.
Also, I would much rather a manual shift. How difficult/possible would if be to change to manual from auto when I do the engine swap?

Thanks.

do you have a HZ1 engine ?
or a 3500 cc ?

if your engine is done ,and you wish to keep the car for some time , I would go for an 4,2 Htd , which is a Toyota 80 engine together with gear box and transfer.

you can find some break done cars that have not been punished .
best would be a motor from an automatic car .

rgs Renago

Just bought a 91 LJ78 diesel/automatic.
I have a feeling that the engine is done, so am wondering what are my options?

Do I have to replace with the same engine? as I have heard that the 2L TE can be problematic.
Also, I would much rather a manual shift. How difficult/possible would if be to change to manual from auto when I do the engine swap?

Thanks.

The most common swaps are the 1KZ-T which is a 3 litre TD engine which is what I fitted in my 70, or the Lexus V8 Petrol. :icon-biggrin:

Fitting a manual box at the same time shouldnt be too hard, but I think you will have to fit one from an LJ70/LJ78/KZJ70/KZJ78 etc. as I'm not sure how easily a box out of another Toyota 4wd will fit. :think:

This is what I did:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...s-3-Litre-1KZT-Engine-Conversion-2-4TD-to-3TD

The power and torque from the 3 litre is worlds ahead of the old 2.4 so it is well worth doing! It has totally transformed my truck and made it much nicer to drive. :clap:

Natas, LJ78 has a 2.4 TD engine and sadly fitting a 4.2 would not be easy due to the length of the straight 6 engine. :icon-smile:

when I bought my LJ78 I looked into engine swap options in case I ever needed one. Among what I found was this thread on how to fit a daihatsu engine. Not that I'd necessarily choose this option. But the thread is good because it details the aspects to be considered, and how to cut-n-shut a bell-housing to get a desired engine / gearbox combo.

Last edited:
Haha I've just been looking at that thread again a bit more properly and you're on there too Ben :thumbup:

:thumbup:

I missed the last post with the engine pics though, so nice to have finally caught up with it. :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back