Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear not shifting past 2nd Prado 95 1KZ-TE Auto

Azzyazal

Country Flag
kenya
Hi All,
I recently replaced the kickdown cable for the Prado 95 1KZ-TE, thats when my problems began, the car doesn't shift past 2nd gear. The RPM's increase to 3k or 4k without with minimal accelaration past 40 Kph. We have serviced the gearbox with minimal success, readjusted the cable severally, the ECU is fine really running out of options. Anyone been in this mess before? The car feels like its stuck in limp mode its a 1999 Prado 95 series with the 3000cc turbo diesel engine and automatic gearbox.
Thanks

2 things I'd try. I'm not too experienced with auto transmissions though.

1. Disconnect the solenoid plug on the transmission. (Triangle shape plug) This will put the transmission into manual mode where D, 2 and L become a clunky 4th, 3rd and 1st. This should prove that 3rd/4th is possible mechanically.

2. Test out each solenoid and the ground connection to the transmission. Each should have a fairly low resistance. Would be worth checking out any speed sensors if you can find them as they would definitely play a role. There are a couple I think at least on the petrol.

Don't have my 90 any more but I'm pretty sure the cable is for fluid pressure regulation and not kickdown. Think the 1KZ must have a different setup for this cable than my old 5VZ.

I assume the range switch is working as expected - ie the dash gear indicator is working ok when you move the stick?

Thanks for the response, range selector works well and displays on the dash. I will try the manual mode and diagnose further.

Back