Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON 4x4 VX DIESEL MANUAL TD

Well Oostco all I can say when hunting Cruisers patience is everything. As a few members on here know, I have been after an 80 series 24V auto for a couple of years now. there has only been four or five come up in that time as they are rare birds indeed and their spec is a little different to UK versions. However last weekend I nabbed one under £4k with virtually no faults at all and couldn't be happier with it. lots of new stuff on it no rust long t&t etc. The moral of this tale is PATIENCE!!. Ask Warren, he will tell you the same. There are plenty of members who, knowing you are looking will contact you if something appropriate to your search comes up.
Best of luck with your search.

Andy

Andy you are right about being patient but I have a Pyrenees trip lined up for the summer so getting restless. Where did you get one for under 4k - was it a Jap import? Does Warren not have a 100 - looks like a 100 would be much easier to find. What I also need is to meet you guys to get advice face to face and to see what your wheels look like - Scotland is so far away..........

Andy you bought WHAT? Details please.

Good grief.

C

you've got a decent budget so I'd stick with getting a late 24 valve unless you want an auto. There are others on here with much more experience of the market than me though.

Chris, Yep a 1996 24V auto. Lots going for it, factory winch, air con, new tyres batteries, air con pump one owner since it was imported in 04. No diff locks but a LSD back axle which is still tight, in fact the whole drivetrain is remarkably tight. It rides as good as any one I have ever driven, pulls like a train. I guess it only had 5 bids on it because it was an import?? 200k miles but to drive you wouldn't know it. Engine doesn't breath at all and there isn't a single leak.
Its not what everyone wants from a 24V being an auto but its just exactly what I wanted. It gives me a good base if I want to bring it up to UK spec with diff locks,leather etc but it's so good I just might leave it as it is.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So what's it like - driving an 24v lazyshift then?

Chris

Not really a lot different to a 12V really. It goes well, cruises nicely on the motorway and has cruise which my 12V hasn't got. Will report on fuel consumption when I have used a tankful but from my perspective I got an 80 24V which ticks virtually all my boxes for not too much money.

Andy

Spent 6 months looking at 80's before found mine, totally agree it's about patience, I still had my trooper so wasn't desperate to find a new motor. I think I narrowed my market looking for a petrol without lpg and wanted low miles!

Mine does not have a single leak...

No, not sure that I agree with the assertion that 80s leak - habitually
They don't.

C

Maybe just the one then:) - I have to prove that to my defender pal ...........

Tobie

Lack of maintenance causes them to leak, and unfortunately most main dealers/independents do not know what they are doing with the axles.

My 12V 80 has never had a leak of any kind in 15 years of my ownership. It had a slight mist from the power steering pump about 10 years ago, pointed out by the MOT inspector which was cured with a Wynns product to soften the seals I think. Its been bone dry since. The PS pump on this one ( the 24V) looks to be the same so I might have to treat this one also but its not a leak!!
In my opinion oil leaks are caused by poor maintainence and over extended lubricant changes.
I went to look at a Range Rover Brooklands a couple of years ago, super smart with only 56K miles, everything leaked!!

Andy

Think you may have missed the point. Its unusual that they leak, but in the main, any leaks are not particularity serious. For me, a leak would probably be low on the list of rejection criteria. Mine leaks very slightly - probably the rear crank seal. Not enough to wory about. It used to leak from the torque converter seal. But that stopped on its own. Any leak on a diff, transfer case or swivel hub is probably something you will have to deal with eventually just through age. Unlike Landrovers which leak as they leave the production line.

C

Just because most garages do not know what they are doing when it comes to 80 series axles then it does not mean it will be a bad 80 just because it has leaks. As Chris said they should not leak, but I have not heard of many people that have bought an 80 without any leaks. You should plan on rebuilding the front axle on an 80 you have just bought anyway, even if it is just to check if it is all been put together correctly.

Surface rust is not a problem on 80s, your friend who has a defender may have thought some surface rust was bad but for an 80 it is not really an issue. No one on this forum has had to weld an 80 series chassis as a direct result of corrosion.

Just kidding about LCs leaking Chris. I may have missed the point but based on general condition I think I made the right choice - I am no LC expert and I rely on help from you guys but the list of issues, small or big, was just too long.

Back