Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON 4x4 VX DIESEL MANUAL TD

Have you been to look yet? If there's a bid they may have placed that there selves so there's one on it before you view

Looks nice,

Has any one actually looked at it yet?

Gra.

Yeah that was me bidding. I stuck a max bid on of £30k so I'm bound to get it.

It was £5998.37 or something weird last time I looked.

Certainly not bidding on a turck that I haven't seen or had someone look at. Look what I got last time - a truck that didn't run. Oh hang on, didn't Crispin go for a look at it for me? :icon-biggrin: Sorry man. Couldn't resist

C

Edit just looked, it's 5299. Same as it was yesterday. That bid's been on a while.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Big rear diff leak, right knuckle leak, left knuckle dry, leak above front diff - could not see the source of the problem, clutch slips, play in steering, diff locks don't seem to engage and overall condition not as good as I expected.

Did he give any indication as to what he might let it go for?

Surprised at the condition considering it is supposed to have a full service history.

He wanted min 6200. Yes I was a bit surprised but looks like he will get his price

As Andy and I have said so many times - if it looks rough in pics, it's a scrapper. If it looks OK, it's rough, If it looks good, it might be passable with care. It it looks mint, it isn't. If it looks phenomenal then the pictures have been lifted from an old brochure.

Thing is that most of what you described is simple stuff and fixable. In fact you are going to get most of that on almost any 80 that you buy. Plan for a rebuild of brakes, steering, front axle etc. It's routine for a truck of this age. What hurts is the price. I would say in looking at 80s as long as you have skill on the tools, you want a tidy interior. Decent body panels, rust free tailgate and a chassis that is paint not rust nor globby underseal. Outside of that, a smooth quiet engine. All the rest is largely nuts and bolts.

Sorry it didn't work out. But keep looking at them. You build up a sort of memory bank. My advice used to be buy the first good one you see. Now it's buy the first reasonable one that you see.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris much appreciated. Do you think it is worth more than 6k as it is? My guess was it would need more than 2k to get it to a reasonable condition but I don't know enough

rear diff leak will more than likely be just a simple seal change, knuckles as Chris said you'd be as well to expect to rebuild in there anyway and it's not hard, leak above front diff probably the steering box rebuild or change it, play in steering is usually a simple adjustment on the box, clutch is disappointing but not that big a deal and once changed you know what's in there instead of guessing remaining life expectancy ..., lockers can be rebuilt or replaced. You missed the important stuff imo, what's the engine and gearbox like and was it crusty underneath?

Jon the engine was smooth. No problem with gearbox - shifting down from 3rd to 2nd was fine. Throttle was a bit strange was a bit hard to press down but I assumed that's just the way they are. Rust below rear window. Windscreen on right hand side was sealed with silicone. Chassis seemed fine but some crusty bits on shock mounts. I just did not get a good feeling but its maybe inexperience - I don't know cruisers. Pity one of you guys are not closer, I took a friend of my with, a Defender man and he said his defender looks better underneath. Did I make a mistake by walking away?

Can't really judge that for you, I paid more for mine with a long list of faults and in the end I think they only gave in and sold it to me to get rid of me so they could go home and have their tea :lol: next day it would have been gone. Others on here maybe wouldn't have paid as much but I'm not a patient enough person to be running round the country looking at 80's all the time so it just had to be good enough to know I could get it how I wanted it - sweet engine and box, not much in the way of crusty bits underneath, works for me :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Did I make a mistake by walking away?

Probably not - if it didn't feel right then you did the right thing. You just have to be patient and one will come up eventually. If you are impatient you'll end up paying - but as Chris has said you need to be prepared to act when you find one that you think is reasonable. All ones you see will have work required - I just sold a 12v 80 that needed much less work than the 24v one you went to see. Opinion varies as to what is more important - drivetrain or body, but the drivetrain is probably more expensive to fix. The knack is probably working out how much you need to spend after you've bought it.....

Back