Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1999 prado weird noise

Joshua1992

Country Flag
australia
My 5vz-fe 3.4 v6 has a noise at 2500 3000rpm in gear and out of gear anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I have posted on fair few forums can seem to find a correct answer just hoping someone has had the same issue

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Update

Ok guys, after 2 days of looking haven’t been able to source the issue but another sound has arrived. When starting, it takes a little longer to fire and once it does there is a loud tick for about 3 seconds. People have suggested big end bearing, but since the noise started I've done about 15hrs driving, so I'm almost sure the bottom end bearing would have given way by now. Also, the engine is ticking louder than normal, almost sounds like it’s missing, but no loss of power. I hope this might help source the issue.

Update

Ok guys done my compression test today believe it or not all cylinders are between 190 180 psi its a lot better than expected for a car that has 326 Thousand kms it’s also rules out any valve or rod damage. engine noise still a mystery

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
It’s a bit tricky to hear the doors you are referring to. The only thing I can hear is a sound a bit like a diesel although yours unless I’m mistaken is petrol.

When did this appear? Did it coincide with anything? Has it just appeared or has it taken a while to appear?
Simple things first
Check your timing belt and tensioner for slack.
Check any idler pulleys for slack. Check the AC pulley for signs of slack on the compressor nose.
A bit left field but could it have been misfuelled?
Just some thoughts to be going on with.

It’s a bit tricky to hear the doors you are referring to. The only thing I can hear is a sound a bit like a diesel although yours unless I’m mistaken is petrol.

When did this appear? Did it coincide with anything? Has it just appeared or has it taken a while to appear?
Simple things first
Check your timing belt and tensioner for slack.
Check any idler pulleys for slack. Check the AC pulley for signs of slack on the compressor nose.
A bit left field but could it have been misfuelled?
Just some thoughts to be going on with.

I recently come back from a beach trip on the way home we went down a bumpy dirt rd 60kph for about 5 kms once back on normal road is when I noticed the noise I have checked all belts ect iv even run the car with out any belts and still can hear the noise iv run 91 fuel in it changed oil all the normal stuff even checked for metal bits in the old oil there’s nothing but your correct its a petrol but sounds like a Diesel when making the noise iv even bought a stethoscope and still can’t pin point the noise

I'm half deaf so the vid is no good to me but when the pipe split on my crankcase breather it made a terrible noise which evolved over a time until i pulled over convinced my turbo was about to explode before i found the problem . My truck is a diesel .

A loose heat guard on the exhaust headers caused an unbelievable "spanner in the works" kinda noise to .

I recently come back from a beach trip on the way home we went down a bumpy dirt rd 60kph for about 5 kms once back on normal road is when I noticed the noise I have checked all belts ect iv even run the car with out any belts and still can hear the noise iv run 91 fuel in it changed oil all the normal stuff even checked for metal bits in the old oil there’s nothing but your correct its a petrol but sounds like a Diesel when making the noise iv even bought a stethoscope and still can’t pin point the noise
I'm half deaf so the vid is no good to me but when the pipe split on my crankcase breather it made a terrible noise which evolved over a time until i pulled over convinced my turbo was about to explode before i found the problem . My truck is a diesel .

A loose heat guard on the exhaust headers caused an unbelievable "spanner in the works" kinda noise to .

Mine is petrol all standard I have checked all the exhaust for rattle or lose parts still no luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That’s kind of where I was going next. I’m pretty sure you’d notice a heat shield rattling but a split intake pipe could well resonate. I believe there’s been some noises from around the air box on some. The other thing was air filter only as you say you’ve been down a bumpy dirt road. Lastly worth looking at the exhaust to see it hasn’t parted anywhere. Sometimes they can shear and sit like they’re still connected. Also if you can check the Cat if you have one as these have been known to shatter not specifically on collies/prados.
That’s about the end of my ideas I’m afraid.

Just seen the vid. There’s a definite change from when it was idling nicely to just after you started revving and got the sound. The whole sound changed at that point and was then an altered ‘base sound’ if you know what I mean. I think it’s worth checking your cat isn’t shattered. I’ve no idea if this is the cause but it fits with the sound more than anything I can think of.

Just seen the vid. There’s a definite change from when it was idling nicely to just after you started revving and got the sound. The whole sound changed at that point and was then an altered ‘base sound’ if you know what I mean. I think it’s worth checking your cat isn’t shattered. I’ve no idea if this is the cause but it fits with the sound more than anything I can think of.

On my model we don’t have a cat I understand it’s hard to diagnose sounds from a video but I’m glad you can sort of notice it when out side of the car it sounds like something is lose moving around the engine the noise happens when driving also and it’s more noticeable when shifting gears as the revs drop down before you get to the next gear one of the videos above will show that
Also I’m not getting any check engine light and it’s not blowing any smoke or losing any power people keep saying bottom end bearing but I have done 15 hrs 4x4 driving since the noise started I’m sure it would have let go by now or gotten worse but it hasn’t the only noise that had developed since then is a small tick / knock sound on start up but only does it for about 4 seconds other options I’m looking at is starter motor or fly wheel or injectors there is a known problem with these the flex plates crack and brake but when that happens it’s more of a tingle metal sound the almost rules that out

Again guys I appreciate your help

Hi Joshua,
Is it a manual or automatic gearbox.
If it's a manual gearbox is suspect the bearing from your clutch group.
A good mechanic can tell you .... difficult to hear on video .... but sounds the same ....
Good luck

Back