Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FTE Timing Belt Replacememnt help needed

Farmer Giles

Country Flag
uk
Hi,

My Landcruiser has clocked 90,000 now and the timing belt light has come on. I have downloaded the service manual for the Amazon and intend to do the timing belt asap. I need to order the parts ahead of doing the job as i need to do it in one go without having to wait for parts to come in to the dealer as my wife needs the car for the school run and visiting her dad who is in hospital at the moment.

Can anybody give me a list of parts to order before i start the job ?

From past experience on other cars and the service manual, I was going to renew the timing belt, the tensioner and pulley, and the timing cover gasket. Is there anything else i may need ? I have loctite threadlock for the tensioner bolts. Any further advice and pointers would be welcome.

I need to turn the timing belt light off too if anybody can help with that.

Thanks

Alex

Probably worth doing the water pump while you're in there.

I did mine a couple of months back so its still very fresh in my mind. The reason for me doing mine was the age of the car (10 years) rather than mileage as she has only done 30k.

I used all OEM parts from Toyota and replaced the following.
Timing belt
Tensioner
Pulley
Water pump + gasket
Thermostat
Coolant

It was an easy job and took an afternoon to do. I had no problems at all and like you followed the manual.

I would say leave a day just in case you run into trouble like removing the pulley which you have to do so that you can get to the water pump.

You need some form or gasket sealant for the timing belt cover and ideally a torque wrench to get all the bolts done up right.

That aside I really enjoyed doing it and am happy to help if I can.

Thanks for the advice I will get on to the dealer tomorrow.

Sorry, I have no advice for you, but I'm replacing mine next week, at a 4 x 4 repair shop. (Lazy bugger I hear you all say!).

Anyway, I have no option but to use OME parts and I'm always wondering how much I pay compared with UK OME parts.

If you'd be kind enough to post the prices you pay against the list above, I'd be grateful. :think:

Clive,

If you drop our friendly parts man, Simon Holton an email, he will quote you a price (inc club discount) and you can do a like-for-like comparison then. Might be even cheaper to have them shipped over....you never know.:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did mine a couple of months back so its still very fresh in my mind. The reason for me doing mine was the age of the car (10 years) rather than mileage as she has only done 30k.

I used all OEM parts from Toyota and replaced the following.
Timing belt
Tensioner
Pulley
Water pump + gasket
Thermostat
Coolant

It was an easy job and took an afternoon to do. I had no problems at all and like you followed the manual.

I would say leave a day just in case you run into trouble like removing the pulley which you have to do so that you can get to the water pump.

You need some form or gasket sealant for the timing belt cover and ideally a torque wrench to get all the bolts done up right.

That aside I really enjoyed doing it and am happy to help if I can.

Just to confirm... easiest cambelt change I had ever done! The tension clamped in a vice with a small alun key through it is a stroke of genius :icon-smile:

Been re-reading the FSM, as I'm due a belt change very shortly. Can someone explain why it's telling you to remove the camshaft pulleys - as far as I can glean from the manual it serves no purpose whatsoever as the first step of reinstallation is to put them straight back on again. :?

You only need to remove no1 or the top pulley if you are replacing the water pump otherwise its not required. Like wise you remove the pulley to get to the cam shaft oil seal retainer to then get to the water pump.

Ah right, I did wonder...seemed a bit superfluous for just changing the belt.

That said, while I'm perfectly capable I might still get Julian V to do the big service, as then he can give the vehicle a thorough check at the same time.

Last edited:
Clive,

If you drop our friendly parts man, Simon Holton an email, he will quote you a price (inc club discount) and you can do a like-for-like comparison then. Might be even cheaper to have them shipped over....you never know.:)

Thanks for that, from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I've been pondering personal importing, it's not easy to get stuff into Romania, there's always a lot of red-tape, a legacy of when red meant something quite different here!

There are some transport companies that do regular runs, if I can find one at a reasonable price I might be able to develop the plan. I'll then be able to keep Karl busy for some time to come! :lol:

Back