Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-T - Swarf / Metal Debris in Sump!

Jonnyboy - Oil pressures were all good (made a mental note of oil needle position - as I was going to look at any changes after BEB's) - but could parts of the pump drive gears?

I was meaning the last time the BEB's were done - could that have been due to a pump problem (presuming it was before your Dad had it?

Yes, that's possible - is there any way to inspect the gears without removing all the timing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my dept I am afraid, I don't know these engines well enough yet

Surely the only way for anything like that to be able to get into the sump is from the timing chest area, or as previously suggested it's remnants of a past repair, bit slapdash workmanship if that was the case.

Give the swarf a good wash in clean petrol and dry it out. A good pic will help us to identify exactly what you have.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess remnants from a previous repair does seem a strong possibility but the thought of rebuilding a motor and not cleaning out all the shrapnel, let alone pouring some into the engine from a contaminated oil can just beggars belief!!

Is it possible the sump plug has been drilled out and/or the sump threads re tapped ? perhaps the thinking was why waste oil flushing out the debris when it will only sit at the bottom until the next oil change anyway ?

The majority of the debris are like these: (sorry for the shoddy pic)

Casting.jpg
Then there are some shavings (just like swarf from a lathe).
I'll get some better pics later this week.

Not anything to do with casting then !

It is concerning but like the others have said if it ran fine before then certainly cant see it being a issue.

Id be inclinded to clean it all out, run it for a few thousand miles and then recheck in there agin just for piece of mind !

I am a tad ocd though !

By the looks of that whatever it was has long since been repaired.
Never worry about crap you can see, it'll never get picked up let alone pumped around. I've found tappet lock nuts, cam gear nuts, bits of cam chain and all sorts of UFOs. It's the dirt smaller than 10 micron that causes the damage, it gets pumped around and around with only a small chance of getting caught in the bypass oil filter, hence why hydraulics don't tend to use filters with a bypass

I'm still worried that I've got broken gears... But I agree that the debris would have been confined to the sump or even the filter...

If your gears were chewed up like that Justin you would have heard something and hear something now. If you feel better though take the front timing gear cover off and have a look.
Nice to see with your own eyes that its all how it should be.

Agreed, but I need to remove all the timing to get to it, Which isn't so simple...

Back