Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2.4 Rocker Cover gasket - couple of questions.

wobbly

Garage
Hi

Halfway through a few little jobs, including changing the rocker gasket.

The head is smooth except the back, underneath the heater pipes, where it has a small rectangular depression - approx 1mm deep and about 20mm wide - I expected the new gasket to be correspondingly shaped, but it isnt.

The old gasket had a line of sealant at the back, I assume added to stop any leaks at this point.

Anyone noticed similar at the back of their head when changing the rocker cover?

And...

There are small collar shaped spacers in the stud holes on the old that I guess stop the new gasket being overtightened - there are only 6 whereas there should be 10 - should I obtain the 4 missing ones or just be careful not to overtighten?

I did find the oil leak at the back end of the rocker - it wasnt actually the gasket, it was the breather pipe that joins onto the cover at the back on the right - it had gone hard and split, allowing the pressurised oily exhaust gases to be pushed out by the pressure from the turbo, where they were pooling at the back, hopefully this is also the source of the oily residue being blown over the throttle position sensor.

Any thoughts on first two poits appreciated.

Pete

Back