1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 - 100 Series Auto Transmission Issues

Letho100 Jun 18, 2017

Tags:
  1. Letho100

Letho100 New Member I am in australia

Map
    Hi Guys, only just found this forum, what an awesome collection of knowledge there is on here!!!!
    Obviously my first post but I've got an issue with my auto trans in our 100 series.
    It's the 4.2 Factory turbo diesel model and the problem is only intermittent though most often when the car is cold.
    When slowing to a stop when the gear box would be in say 3rd or 4th gear from 80klms or so, the gear box seems to stay in that gear and will shudder, when eventually it will clunk heavily out of that gear when stopped. This will happen to the point where the car almost wants to stall( I usually slip it forward to N then into drive when stopped to take the pressure off everything ).
    I've had the auto trans serviced and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    Was wondering if it could be some other electronic sensor or similar not "telling" the box to shift down ????

Any ideas would be welcome, can't find anyone with any answers locally ( even the dealers).

Cheers,
    Brian

2. uHu

uHu Well-Known Member I am in sri_lanka

Map
    This is a known problem on the early hdj100 with the 4-sp auto. It is a problem with the converter (TC). There is a TSB on it which your dealer will have. Almost all converters with that problem have been changed long time ago, as the problem normally appeared somewhere between 50' and 100' km. There are lotsa threads on this, here and on mud.
    The converter was changed from 5 june 2001 production, VIN JTEHC05J904005603. The TSB has ref.no: CP−1018, titled: ATM Judder.
    You have not given many details on your cruzah, so it's hard to say if this matches.

3. Letho100

Map
    Mate you are a legend, I have been asking in all the wrong places for an answer to this. Will have to check the build date of my cruiser to see if it was built prior to this.
    Sorry for the lack of details, the message was starting to get a little long winded and I didn't want to put people off. It is 2001 built but not sure of month.
    I haven't had much to do with these though and was wondering what you meant by a TSB, TC is short for torque converter? Would love to get this issue put to bed, I love this wagon, one of the best I came across.

Thanks so much for your response

4. Ben Stratford

Ben Stratford Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Technical Service Bulletin?

5. uHu

uHu Well-Known Member I am in sri_lanka

Map
    Sorry about the abbreviations, but I see all was understood correctly. Just check if your VIN is a lower number than listed. How many km-s has it covered?

6. Letho100

Map
    Just had a look at the VIN number and build date, was built Dec. 2000 and VIN stamped 01/01. VIN = JTEHC09J407001287 so is well before number you've quoted. Does this mean replacing the TC ?
    It's just clocked up 304,000klms (I've had it from 255,000) but still going strong. Just done the timing belt etc. Was purchased from a friend who got it from his father, has a full service history never towed more than a box trailer and never on the beach. Completely stock with no modifications, am looking into re-doing the suspension as it's getting a little tired but otherwise is a great car.
    Thanks again for your help.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter