Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2H to 12H-T Upgrade

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Been considering this for many years but I now have a realistic opportunity to import a 12 H-T engine with all ancillaries which is 24V so compatible with my HJ60. The only thing that seems to be missing is the starter motor so not a big deal.
Before I go all in though could we discuss anything that may bite me in terms of things I didn’t think about?
So far I know about the starter motor - the one off my 2H might fit but may not?
The clutch is still on the donor engine but no bell housing. Will the 5 speed H55F gearbox on my car mate up ok or may there be an issue?
I believe the engine mounts are in a different place on the chassis so will need to be fabricated. Could anyone confirm this?
The exhaust will need to be modified of course.
Air filter housing will need new connecting pipe to turbo feed pipe.
Is there anything else?
I have a turbo badge for the front grille woohoo!!
And have already uprated the front brakes.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Ben,

According to my manuals the engine mounts are in the same place for 2H and 2H-T and your starter motor should fit as the block is the same for both.
From the new engine number you should be able to identify the year as there were changes to them in '83. Hopefully your new engine is later.
Regards,
Rodger

Currently discussing options with a contact in New Zealand. They are usually 24V whereas Australia are 12V. Not a showstopper but nice to have 24V. Ideally purchasing a whole car to ship over.
Also looking into 1HD-T swap feasibility now!

Currently discussing options with a contact in New Zealand. They are usually 24V whereas Australia are 12V. Not a showstopper but nice to have 24V. Ideally purchasing a whole car to ship over.
Also looking into 1HD-T swap feasibility now!
I like the 12HT engine, but theres no doubt that in the UK a 1HDT would be a simpler proposition.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi wot is the cost of a 12HT I would love one for the old hj45 let me now how you get on with one you r getting if you can thanks a lot Tony.

Hello Tony,
The motor from NZ didn’t work out. There is an HJ61 in London storage for sale but it’s too much so I’m back to considering options of a 1HD-T conversion or just stick with the 2H?? It would probably be more sensible to stay as is and just get a nice 80 too

comes down to why you want to change , my 2h fitted with a hybrid turbo and large front mounted intercooler peps it right up and will wheel spin the old girl no problem, if you want a 12ht cruiser world in Holland has one for about 3500 euros

Hi Hemi is that on a rebuild 2H and wot was the cost of the hybrid turbo thanks a lot Tony all the best.

Hi Tony I would have to check but I think it was around 2.5-3 k for the full stainless exhaust three inch , new turbo a T5 turbo machined into a t3 housing spools up really well, front intercooler custom made around £650 I think , full rebuild on pump and injectors and opened up around £1500 , not cheap plus full engine rebuild

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9505.jpeg
    IMG_9505.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4edda110-7767-47f2-9602-4ca1fa2ae786.jpeg
    4edda110-7767-47f2-9602-4ca1fa2ae786.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 16
Hi thanks for that a lot to think about wot a cool job I love the look of that all the best Tony

If I was going to do it all over again I would go straight down the LS route, cheap and lots of standard power with loads of potential or some of the merc/ bmw options that are appearing in some of the patrols now

Back