Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 series instruments

Rodger

The dash is very simple on a 40, aside from the speedo you get oil pressure, fuel, temp and amps and on mine (at least) no warning lights. Since I bought mine 15 years ago the instrument panel has been reasonably secretive just hinting at oil pressure; being nearly empty when showing half full and indicating that it's running hot when normal. When we came here to Spain I installed a kms dash and the instruments in that pod gave similar readings. All very unsatisfactory and frustrating as I have stripped the panel down, changed sensors, etc so many times without any or much improvement.
Several years ago I fitted a 60 series rev counter and the other day had cause to move the remains of that 60 series dash pod and thought I take a look at the other pod in that panel. Well other than the holding screws being longer and the fuel gauge reading the other way round and the gauge faces being a completely different shape the instruments are the same. So we carefully drilled out the holding rivets and installed the 40 series faces on to the various instruments and today we fitted it all and now we have instruments that work!
40 series gauges are getting hens' teeth rare but if you have dodgey instruments then the chances are that the little bars and coils inside are showing their age but 60 stuff may help. The fuel gauge operates the other way round (empty showing to the right) so we adjusted the internals of our original gauge to mirror the pristine settings in the 60 pod and now it works and the ammeter is not interchangeable (but we've fitted a volt meter). The only noticeable difference is that the needles are shorter but still visible.

Regards,

Rodger

Great info, will bear this in mind when pulling my electrics apart over the coming weeks!

Back