Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

500+ miles from 1 fill up

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
Chris said:
I can eak 21 out of my auto on 285 ATs. But generally more like 19 and a bit. Generally happy enough (ha ha) with that. But it does seem that the manual is an extraordinary beast. Chris

I don't think it is being a manual that makes the difference, so much as having an extra 12 valves :think: I get 20mpg at anything below 65mph and 18 or lower above

Hmm, maybe. But there aren't that many 12v Manuals around are there? Are there any manual petrols?

Not big on the history of the 80 I just know I like 'em. Nearly bought a manual 24v GS at the start. Really wish I has it was insanely cheap but had a fault. Now I know that I could have cured the fault in 5 mins, I'm still kicking myself 2 years on. 5 brand new ATs and a whole new interior for £2750. They drove it from Aberdeen to Nottingham on one tank.

Chris

Never seen a manual petrol. Not sure how well it would suit being a manual? There so much torque low down on the diesel that pulling away hardly needs any juice even on steep stuff. Would think you would have to rev the petrol more to get into the torque band?

I think (may be wrong) the 12v GS was more common as manual than the VX. Mines a manual VX, cloth seats, no aircon, have seen a few others about.

You could drop a manual box in it on one of your tea breaks Chris, just to see what its like ;)

Welcome to have a play in mine anytime you want.

Thanks Adrian, I'll do just that. Perhaps this afternoon, eh? NOT.

I did drive a couple of 24v manuals and I thought they were broken actually. I think they might take some getting used to at low revs. Never got the chance to wind them up at all.

Chris

Not broken Chris, just strangled because of emissions compliance.

First time i drove a 24v i was surprised. nowt below 2000 then bonkers so not very drivable at all.

With the adjustments they pull like a train from 1000 rpm.

Takes about 15 minutes to let loose the beast - three simple adjustment. (also I found worth doing on the 12v as well).

http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_serie ... p_adj.html

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a 93 8valve manual and average about 29mpg (on 285/75/16 insa turbo desert track). I usually cruise around 60-70 because I find it a bit 'buzzy' over that. I don't have it that long so still to service it but compared to my 3.0V6 swb auto shogun I had before, then it's a lot better. There is 181k on it and its starts on the moment you turn the key. However, I find the power bad below 1300rpm in any gear- is this normal with other 8 valvers or something I need to look at..

got some 2stroke oil today . just added it to the full tank . put about 500ml in
Now what difference can i expect?
will i actually notice it ?

I thought the fuel gauge in this new 80 of mine was broken the needle was stuck in one place so long but no it eventually moved :) 207 miles of reasonably enthusiastic driving some round town, some with the caravan on the back, mostly motorway at 70-80 sometimes higher and 37.48 liters was all I could squeeze back in so about 25mpg.

Bob, I disagree that the two stroke addition is a placebo, after reading about the addition of 2 stroke oil to diesel to see if it made any difference ( not to a cruiser) to my Chevy suburban 6.5 turbo diesel. I ran it at about 1:100 ( 2 litres to 40 gall fill up). I found after 4 tankfuls it had made a difference of about 1.5 mpg and when cruising the engine note was noticeably quieter. When we fetched MUD from Ian's towing empty one way and with MUD on the back at 60 all the way home it did 17.7 mpg which was remarkable considering I expected the usual 16.
I am now trying it on my GS which is averaging 25 at the moment. One thing to note is that I have done the tweaks to the pump to give it a bit more low down urgency. This resulted, at the MOT station of an emissions figure of 1.8 on the machine whereas last year (on the same machine) the figure was 0.6 with standard factory settings.
I haven't done enough miles yet to be able to comment on it's effect on a cruiser but on the Chevy it made a noticeable difference to economy and smoothness,maybe you can try it and let us know how you find it over a couple of tankfuls.

That's interesting Jon. To recap my 24v manual used to do 28mpg but now down to 26.
Perhaps some other owners of same spec vehicle could give their current figures. Either the diesel is getting poorer or we are all getting clapped out at the same rate.

Frank

I thought that was pretty good for just running about and not much air in the tyres :)

Last year on the way back from the Pyrenees I got just over 25mpg out of my fully loaded 24v manual 80 with roof tent and all. This was at extremely slow speeds though, 50-60mph as Rienhard had ARB bush issues. No fuel mods or maintenance at all to mine as well. I do wonder what the intercooler will do to my MPG :think:

Recently the mpg went down to around 21 (normally 25mpg), but I'd been waiting a bit longer between gear changes and it was all city driving.
So came an opportunity to see if all was OK, in the form of an airport drop off - total 7 adults with luggage.

Tyre Pressure: 36 psi all round (Michelin LTX 275/70/16)
Time of Day: After Midnight
Route: Mostly M1
Speed: 70 on the way down, 58 (I agree it's a lot more relaxing!) unloaded, on the way back up (going by the speedo) w/ Cruise Control (which makes a big difference).

I should also add that:
The IP has been tweaked (2 clicks and some...) by JV, specifically for low end pick-up (w/o sacrificing economy), starts picking up sub 1000rpm.
3" SS exhaust turbo back..
EGR is disabled FWIW.
Everything else is stock.

Tank was topped off on departure and on return took 73 litres.
Total Mileage: 501
Which translates to: 31mpg (9.06 l/100km - 11.04 km/l).

I think that's not bad.... would also like to know what an IC would contribute.

IQ

Well after a family jaunt to Wiltshire last weekend and around Wales yesterday I managed to get just over 400 miles from my lifted, intercooled, fire breathing auto 12 valve 80 before the light came on, which is my best yet in seven years of ownership.

Must be slowing down in my old age, but I don't think so.

Well try as I may, lifted unloaded no roof rack, 35's(315/75/16) - manual and I can only manage 600kms per 90ltr that is 18mpg! 12v '92.

That's with the cruise set @ 100kph. thats pretty crap really

So what are you guys all feeding your trucks to get 25mpg???

Olazz said:
Well try as I may, lifted unloaded no roof rack, 35's(315/75/16) - manual and I can only manage 600kms per 90ltr that is 18mpg! 12v '92.

You get similar figures to me Olazz. It must be something to do with the extra weight in the gold paint ;)

Ecoman said:
Olazz said:

You get similar figures to me Olazz. It must be something to do with the extra weight in the gold paint ;)
Or the driver :think: ;) :lol:

Back