Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

72 FJ40 - Front Disc Brake Conversion - Using a 1984 Toyota 4Wheel Drive Truck discs

Khubred

Country Flag
united_states
I bought a 1972 FJ40 with a front disc brake conversion using the disc brakes from a 1984 Toyota Pickup Truck that is 4Wheel Drive.

The vehicle stops hard because the previous owner didn't finish it by upgrading the proportion valve and convert to two well master cylinder. He told me that there is a part that I could by that's called a diverter, located near the rear of the vehicle (brake line) that would solve the problem.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is, and/or if I should buy a larger master cylinder (Corvette MC) and new proportion valve that would send 79% of the braking power to the rear and 30% to the front - evenly proportioning the power brakes accordingly.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

Here's a thread about it @ IH8MUD forum
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wildwood-brake-proportioning-valve.212385/
Pretty simple really, get an adjustable proportion valve @ Jegs or Summit and install it between the master and the line going to the rear brakes. Also also a master cylinder and booster upgrade is a probably a must have. I've never tried it w/out doing it. I've always used mini truck or 4 runner boosters and MC's....Good luck, have fun. You'll need a flaring tool as well.

Back