Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series white smoke

Bgilly

Country Flag
australia
Hi all I recently purchased a 96 Landcruiser 80 series 1hd-ft that was sitting around a paddock for a while and have recently rebuilt it due to the rocker arm adjuster nuts coming loose and dropping 2 valves. It also had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt.

The problem is the engine blows alot of white smoke not just on start up but all the time and makes it impossible to drive anywhere. Also the engine seems to be breathing very heavy when I pull the pipe off from the rocker cover there is quite a lot of pressure coming out, is this normal for this engine.

Any help would be great. Cheers.

Are you sure the timing is right?

If you have excessive crankcase pressure this is due to piston and or bore damage. Two things happen.

1. During compression and ignition gases blow past the piston/s causing crank case pressure.
2. During induction oil is sucked up past the piston/s and burns in the combustion chamber. This is the white smoke. It smells like burning engine oil, which it is, but does not smell like white diesel smoke.

I don't think loose rocker nuts would cause a valve to drop.

If pistons were replaced the bores should have been checked for damage and then glaze busted. Glaze busting allows new rings to bed in and oil consumption to reduce.

A compression test should reveal weak compression and confirm the above.

Pictures would be interesting ?

As an aside I've just read reports saying that it is bad to let diesel engines idle because it glazes the bores. WTF. When you buy a new car the bores are not glazed but after several thousand miles they are. Idling won't make the glaze any worse as the glaze is already there. It is bad to let a newly built engine idle as the pistons rings should form the correct profile glaze at running RPM.

If you have excessive crankcase pressure this is due to piston and or bore damage. Two things happen.

1. During compression and ignition gases blow past the piston/s causing crank case pressure.
2. During induction oil is sucked up past the piston/s and burns in the combustion chamber. This is the white smoke. It smells like burning engine oil, which it is, but does not smell like white diesel smoke.

Think you meant Blue smoke Here Frank.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Timing is all ok been through that a few times. Going to take it to a diesel tech to get a compression test done as you need special attachments.

Blue smoke= Light to moderate burning of engine oil.
White smoke= The above + vaporised unburned oil. I assume the latter as he can't drive anywhere.

He's already said it's white smoke but should have made my description clearer.

He might have problems in addition to what I've described but there is only one cause of excessive crank case pressure.

Last edited:
When I was a heavy duty diesel apprentice in the late 80's I was taught that black smoke was over fuelling, no smoke at idle to light blue smoke under load was good fuelling and white smoke was a dead engine as it was burning oil from the sump.
Hope that helps in some way, and like frank says lose rocker nuts should not result in a dropped valve unless the collet on top of the valve stem failed somehow, dropped valves are usually a result of over revving the engine.
Personally I would be interested in the state of the pistons, rings and cylinder bores.
Also the injectors and pump timeing, there are a lot of variables but it is probably best to start with what is easier (or cheaper) to eliminate as a cause.

Last edited:
I've tried to upload a photo off my iPhone but as per usual for some reason it just won't up load.

I have a couple of photos where my fuel pump is shot. On the photos it shows white smoke and you couldn't drive it at all as you just wouldn't be able to see anything behind.

image.jpgFinally. This was due to the fuel pump

I'm with you on this Karl, he's just had work done and the pump off, so Hercule Poirot thinks that's the most likely suspect......

Timing related

I also had very significant dense white smoke that turned out to be a pump issue. At the time it was also accompanied by a loss of power. Initially, adjustment of the timing did help, a little. But it was a pump rebuild that solved the issue.

Given the pump has already been rebuilt it may be prudent to check the pump settings are correct.

Whilst I can't comment on causation, I do know that Oz Land Cruiser forums report the 24v HD-FT as having a reasonably well known issue of dropping valves.

Last edited:
I woulndnt have said that yours would have been a fuel issue with that cloud of smoke karl i would have been looking at the turbo. What was the matter with the pump do you know ?
stu

1hd-ft's dropping valves is more a result of incorrectly adjusting the valve clearances is it not?
Or more specifically not supporting the valve bridge when tightening the locknut, which results in the collets working there way out.

IQ

Last edited:
Fully understand what your saying stu. The he photo was taken After I fitted the recon fuel pump. Needless to say someone hadn't rebuilt it properly.
I've had issues a couple of times where a company rebuilt a pump and after I had fit it there were still issues.

Last edited:
we used to get alot of come backs on the cummings hsd6 fuel pumps in the end we used to fit a genuine cummings 1 which was more exspensive but not in the long run when you add the labour cost to fit it twice.
would have been interesting to know what the problem was.
stu

I know. It's a pain fitting things twice. The only issue in fitting new is the cost involved.
I thinks mainly it's the seals in the cruiser pumps that go wrong/ give up.

Black Smoke from diesel is the soot in the partly unburned fuel. If you increase the amount of fuel even further some of it will not burn at all and will just come out as dense white vapour. If you pour engine oil or diesel on to a soldering iron you will get dense white smoke. If you over fuel a diesel engine too much it will lose power with white smoke and stop running.

I've seen all sorts of terrible disasters with engines but I think collets coming out is virtually impossible. There are several different designs but those on the 1HD-Ft are the most common and the design is over 100 years old. That design is used from lawnmowers to aircraft engines. If one collet came out I think they all would worldwide. Collets can't possibly come out unless the valve spring is compressed independently of the valve which can't happen during running even if the bridges etc are damaged.The pictures of loose collets on another forum was a wind up. If you put any piston on TDC you can compress the valve spring with a forked lever and remove the collets. So that's what they did. Lots of reports but only one picture ??

Back