Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 custom bumpers for Ed

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Just for the benefit of Ed, here are some of the build pics that got lost over on TCOCK. Easier to just stick them up in a new thread for you. Obviously Ed, Lil Blue has long since left my care into Tony's but I'm sure he won't mind me showing how it was fabricated.

No real commentary here - just pics.
IMG00041-20090921-1549.jpg

IMGP3734.jpg

IMGP3748.jpg

IMGP3747.jpg

IMGP3779.jpg

IMGP3780.jpg

IMGP3834.jpg

IMGP3852.jpg

Front bumper

IMGP3951.jpg

IMGP3977.jpg

IMGP3978.jpg

IMGP3952.jpg

IMGP3990.jpg

IMGP4000.jpg

IMGP4010.jpg

There. Simple really.

Chris

Couple of Qs

Front Bumper

After doing it, do you think the winch could go any higher and further back ?

Winch mount looks ~8mm plate with the rest looking like 2 or 3mm plate ('cept the mounts, onto them in a mo). The old Jeep plate was 6mm with just a bend, mounted direct to the top of the chassis I then had this (when I say I, I mean I had it done.... not welded anything since I was at school!) attached to the top of an existing bumper and added the gussets to attach to both mount points. I can see clearly where the bottom of the winch mount attaches to the chassis, is the top tied in as well or do you rely on the huge bar bolted at the bottom ? Can you get to the top to tie in top and bottom ?

Back Bumper

What does the receiver bar attach to if it's not the chassis rails ? or does the bumper attach to the body ?
Is it worth ataching to both as I plan to include a receiver in the bumper as well as recovery eyes?
Speaking of recovery eyes, you have done some welding around them, What did you do ?
this looks like mainly 2 or 3mm plate as well ?

Do you have any pics of the car with the bumpers removed ?

Thanks

EE

Hmm, winch couldn't really go much further back I don't think. It could have gone lower and be pushed back a bit perhaps. Yes plate was pretty heavy duty and it was tied in at the top as well. In all I think there were 11 bolts holding it all on. Tony hasn't managed to pull that off - yet. Easy to get to all the fixings.

Rear receiver wasn't in the bumper. It's a converted towbar bolted into the original chassis points. Bumper bolts onto the end of the chassis rails - that's in the pics. The loose plate with the bolt through was welded onto the chassis to prevent tearing. The rear bumper isn't really for hanging off although you certainly could. But you'd use the receiver.

Here's a pic of the truck with no bumper.

IMGP3691.jpg

Not quite sure what you mean about welding around the towing eyes. The rear ones (strong) screw into the mounts that go into the chassis.

Don't seem to have a picture of that but if you look at this one, you might get the idea. The eye bolt screws into a nut welded into the end of the chassis lug. I drilled a 20mm hole, put the bolt through onto the nut and welded it in situ.

IMGP3744.jpg

Chris

Ahh, reply didn't go, wonder if I closed the browser before posting :?

I see that the tow bar mount sits under the chassis rails, I just assumed they "hung" on top of the rails and that's where I go confused as it appeared there were two sets of chassis ends... :) Was thinking of using both mounting locations for the rear bumper, but as it all attaches to the same place, probably no point :)

The welding I was on about is visible in Pic 6 above, That pic is before the tow points so I am guessing it's where the chassis rail inserts attach to the rear bumper from the inside. It explains where the strength comes from for these as well.

Hi Chris,

This is the next project for my 95. Just one question in picture 3 is this how you mounted the rear bumper to the chassis? Have you any pics from the underneath of it mounted.

Thanks very much for any help :thumbup:

The bumpers look mint, fingers crossed i can get my rear one to look similar :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi GP, basically yes, the bumper slotted straight into the read chassis box section. I made two pretty serious duty inserts out of channel. The box chassis was then strengthened externally with those large square plates. These were then welded into place once it was all lined up. The bumper was then welded to the insert. Nothing really clever, it just plugged in. Nice big 20mm bolts into captive nuts.

Not sure I have any more pics of anything relevant.

Chris

No problem. Here is a shot of the insert. The idea behind the other square plates was to prevent the bumper from ripping out of the old chassis rails. They are a bit thin.

IMGP3743.jpg

Back