Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series not starting

John Pimentel

Hi I'm a newbie here and was searching thru the forums and haven't found the solution to my problem.

Anyway, here it goes. We recently changed the both valve cover gaskets and cylinder head plugs) the circle one) due to engine oil leaking. However when we got all the things back in place, the car would not start. Well it started for a couple of seconds but immediately died. Now its not turning over. Sounds like there's no compression. We redid all the things we did but to no avail.
I would appreciate any leads to solve my problem.

My engine is 3.4L 5VZ

thanks

You mean the rocker cover gaskets?

Ie just the top cover coming off, new gasket then refit.

So you haven't actual led done any work on the valves themselves.

Was it running ok before the work?

I would tend to start with electrics, in particular look at wiring, see if you've inadvertently disconnected something.

Are you getting fuel through ?

Did you disconnect the battery to do the work - if so, does the car have an immobiliser fitted.

Cheers

Pete

Good advice Pete. Also worth checking the fuel pump solenoid wire. But if it's not turning over then it's starter motor related. Immobiliser is a good place to start. I think that a few more details might be needed.Your details aren't that clear. If it's not turning over then how is that comporession related. If there were no compression, it would whizz round.

First and foremost Happy New Year!

Thanks for the reply Pete.

Yes it was just a gasket for the cover. No valve work. The car ran perfect before we did it. We also disconnected the battery. We're getting fuel though, electric from spark plugs are weak. All electrical sockets and vacuum hoses seem to be in place. We did remove and install all components up to the gaskets a couple of times just to make sure evrything is going to the right place. Now it seems there's no compression
Immobilizer, hmmm. I didn't notice. Does my 97 Prado have it?

What do you mean by no compression. Have you put a tester on it? I don't know how else you'd tell

I had a similar problem but my truck would fire, run for 10 seconds and then cut out. The fix for me was to disconnect the 3 plugs that go into the ECU and reconnect them, its been running fine since. Worth a try maybe.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Exactly Chris. Its just whizzing. No compression sound.
I doubt its a starter motor coz if it is it would try to turn over.
I'll check the fuel pump solenoid. Thanks

I'll do that too Trevor. Thanks

Now at least I have a starting point. thanks guys

Just whizzing???? Ooer. Hmm. Timing belt?

Removed and install everything. Now it has compression after cleaning the spark plugs but still wouldnt start. Seems electrical current to the plug wites are weak. All fuses are ok. Can you tell me whats the firing order? Probably will be changing the spark plugs too just to elliminate possible causes

Last edited:
Back