Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

97 Colorado TD in Virginia

VirginiaColorado

Country Flag
united_states
Hi All! Some basics to get this going...

I've got a 97 Colorado TD (Model 95?) with 180K+ miles here in the USA -- Northern Virginia in particular. I don't have any big plans (yet) for it, I'd really just like to get it running more consistently. My brother and I purchased this last year and I've been trying to make it more reliable ever since.

In the time that I've owned it, we've replaced brakes and pads, tires, radiator (it ruptured en route to Virginia from Tennessee-- lots of fun), hoses, air filters, speed sensor (twice), ignition switch, ignition coil, and rear tail light assembly.

It's currently sitting idle because I can't get it to start consistently, or at all right now. There are other issues, but if I can't start it they don't matter. I've never taken on a project like this, but will to put in the time to get this going. As you might imagine, this is not a very common car here in the US, so hoping this community can point me in the right direction. I've got tools and motivation, but I'm not a mechanic.

-- Chris aka VirginiaColorado

PXL_20240110_160549562.jpg

Hi Chris and welcome.. 97? Petrol or diesel?

From the year I think yours is a 90, and I also suspect it has the 3.0ltr 1KZ-TE engine... There are 2 different types for the 90/95, the later had the 1KD D4D 3.0ltr, the difference being the intercooler is sat on top of the engine. As per pic attached.
The earlier engine did have head gasket/head cracked issues when over cooked, and with you saying Radiator issues, there's a possibility the head could be at fault..

But would check on your chassis number as to which engine you have, as said the d4 has the intercooler sat on top of the motor..

But yes post up on the 90/5 section on here for some answers...

,you could also join & ask on Toyota land cruiser owners UK Facebook group as there's alot of collie owners on there too...

Attachments

• IMG_20231014_132328.jpg
    IMG_20231014_132328.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 5
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From the year I think yours is a 90, and I also suspect it has the 3.0ltr 1KZ-TE engine... There are 2 different types for the 90/95, the later had the 1KD D4D 3.0ltr, the difference being the intercooler is sat on top of the engine. As per pic attached.
The earlier engine did have head gasket/head cracked issues when over cooked, and with you saying Radiator issues, there's a possibility the head could be at fault..

But would check on your chassis number as to which engine you have, as said the d4 has the intercooler sat on top of the motor..

But yes post up on the 90/5 section on here for some answers...

,you could also join & ask on Toyota land cruiser owners UK Facebook group as there's alot of collie owners on there too...
Hi Gary - I checked, it does have the 1KZ-TE engine. I also looked at the VIN/Serial Number on the firewall, it says model is KZJ95... Does that mean 95? I'll post and see what kind of response I get, and will check out the UK FB group too! Thanks!

Screenshot_20240112_173512_com.android.chrome.jpg
95 is the 5 door version, 90 is the 3 door.
It was the diesel BHP options... The D4D was continued in the 120 series... I maybe going down wrong path, but form your 1st intro, you mentioned radiator issues? did your cooling system over heat requiring top up of at least 5+ litres? , or too the point of no coolant when hot?

View attachment 33533595 is the 5 door version, 90 is the 3 door.
It was the diesel BHP options... The D4D was continued in the 120 series... I maybe going down wrong path, but form your 1st intro, you mentioned radiator issues? did your cooling system over heat requiring top up of at least 5+ litres? , or too the point of no coolant when hot?
Hi Gary - it's the 95 then, 5 door is what I have. I've got a thread going in the model 90 forum if you want to come join. Radiator blew and was replaced, more in the other forum. It's the ignition that is the most pressing issue. Won't ever turn over.

Back